Finn's Journey

MsDeb

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
This is a copy/paste from my Facebook post. I want everyone involved to be recognized.

The FB Digest version of Finn and his journey home to us. You've met our goats. Just after we got them I joined Back Yard Herds http://www.backyardherds.com/ (Great info for folks with small herds there!) I was curious about getting a Livestock Guardian Dog but they usually live WITH the livestock. I wanted a dog that would be a companion to us as well as companion and protector of the goats. Apparently that's something you don't usually find, but I posted my very unrealistic dog wish to the site, describing my dream dog. One of the members, @Baymule, found Finn on a rescue site in TX and the description sounded like he'd be perfect for us. I contacted Chazak Speaks, his foster home and after a very long conversation we agreed that he would be a perfect fit. The problem was getting him from just outside Austin, TX to Lawrence, KS. Marietta Winfrey and Abby AngryOwl shared my post searching for transport. One of Marietta's old friends, Nancy Sheffield, offered to help. One of Chazak's friends, Andrea Hughes, also offered to help transport. Any of these wonderful people were willing and able to get him as far as the TX/OK boarder. Still too far for us to make the trip. Another BackYardHerd member, @goatgurl, offered to transport part of the way if we could get him near Ft. Smith AR. That offer triggered a memory of a trasnport service that runs out of TX, Dog Runner Pet Transport, LLC. If someone could get him to Burleson, TX, they could get him within a realistic traveling distance for us. All the TX folks started working out a transport plan to get him to Dog Runner. During all this I connected with Jennifer S Page, who originally saved Finn from eminent death by rescuing him from a kill shelter in Odessa TX in September 2013.. (Finn's story is one of many abandoned dogs in TX. His is one that, thanks to rescue and foster efforts, has a happy ending) On transport day she set everyone involved up in a FB group to keep tabs on who had Finn and where he was at any given moment. It seems Finn is one of those magical dogs who has captured hearts everywhere he has been. Nancy stood by as emergency backup. Our little group was up all night as Chazak delivered him to Andrea (and immediately traveled to rescue two other pups to bring back to her private foster farm.) Andrea drove through the night and got Finn to Dog Runner, where a very good spirited Dave got up at 5 a.m. to get him loaded onto the trailer. Andrea turned around and drove home and most of us didn't rest until she posted that she was home safe sometime around 8:30 a.m. (Not only do we now have a wonderful new dog, but I have some wonderful new friends in TX! Thank you ladies, it was a night to remember!) Dog Runner makes twice monthly interstate trips, bringing rescued dogs out of TX. Check out their story online. We met Dave and Elaine at a truck stop in Joplin and I will never forget seeing Finn's smiling face when Dave opened the back of the trailer! So many abandoned, unwanted dogs die because they can't all be saved. But so many live because of efforts of people who rescue, people who transport, people who adopt and people who spread the word that these wonderful dogs are out there waiting for their turn to come home. Thank you again and blessings to all!

finnhome.jpg

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Awww..... so glad Finn is HOME! How does he like his new home? You will have to give us an update every couple of weeks and let us know how he is settling in.

goatgurl

Herd Master
Reaction score
awww msdeb, you made my eyes leak. I'm so glad finn made it home. and he looks so happy to be there. don't ya love it when a plan comes together. :woot we'll be expecting updates

MsDeb

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
1012141712.jpg 1011141654j.jpg Most current Finn news is I'm officially blaming David if he is spoiled rotten. The goats are starting to get more comfortable having him around. He really wants to protect us from something so I've let him chase away the squirrels. (We have a major bicycle route on our road and he really wanted to protect us from them and obeyed so nicely when he found out he had to leave them alone. I had to give him something. He's so proud when he chases a squirrel out of the yard.) So far he seems to be exactly what I wished for. A guardian/ companion to all of us. And I didn't have phone in my pocket but he really has spent time with the goats.