First Checkup

BDaY

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Hey guys it's me again! So my babies are going for their first checkup this week as well as their first fecals. My question is what all do I need to ask my vet and what other kind of testing do I need to have performed? Do I need to have them tested for Johnes and CAE at this time? Also what other tests do you guys recommend?

Thanks again!

Ferguson K

Herd Master
Reaction score
All of these tests have multiple things that can alter the results. The way to watch it is to check the titers.

We don't test for Johnes until 18 months. CAE and CL we test as early as 10 months, but true results are after a year. If the sire and Dam were both tested you stand a pretty good chance to be fine. But I still prefer to know.

BDaY

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Good to know guys! So just a routine exam, fecals and getting little man wethered and little doe disbudded maybe I'm still on the fence about disbudding but I'll see what the vet says. Other than that should be all I need until their 1 year checkup?

NH homesteader

Herd Master
Reaction score
I would disbud her if the vet says it's doable. Makes life so much easier (and safer). Sorry I don't remember from your other thread, have they had CD/T shots?

Ferguson K

Herd Master
Reaction score
X2. I can't remember if you've said they have their CD&T

BDaY

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Hopefully we're still in the disbudding stage of growth and not dehorning. They just got their initial CD/T Saturday and mom had hers while she was preggo.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Most labs consider 6 months acceptable for CAE & CL
Johnes 18months and up

We generally like 8months for CAE & CL we throw the Johnes in anyway just because we are testing for all 3 yearly anyway so it is just easier for me paperwork wise.

Having kids born different times of year and all different ages I have missed one or two in doing it where I wait til such and such age etc.

I know you are on the fence with the horns thing. Although I have always been a big advocate for horns I must say over the years and many many goats and issues later I will NOT have horns ever again (other than my meat goats).
I do think everyone needs to do what they feel comfortable with however it is wise to look at all the experience from all the goatkeepers here. There is a reason we get those horns off. ;)
If you plan on having just 2-3 goats forever then maybe not too big a deal but if your herd grows (like all herds do ;) ) you will end up rehoming the horned ones and end up with NO horn goats only.

Fecal check and heart check are wise.

I have forgotten, you may have mentioned this- not sure, is this a goat vet you are seeing?

BDaY

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I'm not sure how well versed the vets are where I'm going but they're large animal vets. I haven't been there yet but they have 3 vets and looks like it's a big place. There's a livestock auction in Shelby where this vet is and there's usually a lot of goats there so hopefully these guys will be goat pros!