First "Problem" kid

SteveElms

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
image.jpeg
Yesterday we had our first problem kid born. Boer doeling that was born outside the shelter in a cold rain. Mother left it and went to eating. Fortunately my wife saw it. The baby was shivering and pretty lifeless when she got to it. We brought it in, put it on a heat pad and blankets, and then I went out to get colostrum from the mother. For a boer first freshener, she didn't do too bad being milked by hand. She really didn't have much of a choice though. We fed the baby, got a pen set up in our basement and brought momma in. Baby and momma are doing well and get to spend a couple of days in the house until the spring snowstorm passes.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
Certainly glad your wife saw the baby. First time mothers can be really stupid sometimes but since she took the baby back after your cleaned and warmed it up then she gets a few points. :) Glad they are doing well.

SteveElms

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
When I fed them that morning I noticed momma was acting different and mentioned it to my wife. She was home and kept an eye on her. She called me at work when she saw it was not doing good. Normally we are both gone from 8-6 during the day, so it was pure luck she was home and I was in town when the baby was born.

7 out of the 8 does we had bred this year are first fresheners so so we expected some issues. We got spoiled when the first 4 kidded without any problems. I was also worried that I was going to have a real battle on my hands getting the colostrum since we really don't handle the boers very much so we aren't attached to them.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
Oh yeah, milking a boer can be REAL fun; actually any goat that isn't used to being handled can be a challenge. I have two that didn't get milked today as I couldn't catch them. And then 4 or 5 that would like to be milked over and over again as long as the grain bucket stays full.

I told the gals that I couldn't catch that they were being chased to a a new home. Too bad too, they have nice easy udders to milk.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
So glad it worked out the way it did. Grats on a good "save"!

TAH

Herd Master
Reaction score
Congrats. I see the mom and baby are super spoiled:).

SteveElms

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
We are grateful that the baby survived first and foremost. I'm certain if Sheri hadn't have seen it outside the shelter it probably wouldn't have made it. We are also very grateful that we don't have to bottle feed it. Our daughter is due to have our first grandchild any day, and we really didn't think toting a baby goat into the hospital waiting room would fly. I don't see a problem but you know how those hospitals are.

Momma is feeling really spoiled right now since its 68 and dry in here versus 34 and raining outside. She might not want to leave!

Latest posts