First Time Kidding, Normal? *pics*

MrsBrooke

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I've never done this before, so not entirely sure what to expect... somehow, this doesn't look like the pictures I've seen or the experiences I've read about.

My doe has something hanging from her vulva. It feels like a long cord of pink, fleshy tissue. It is a solid piece, as opposed to mucous... like she's passing a piece of wrinkly skin. I felt it, but did not pull... she did not appear to like me messing with it. There is a little blood, but clotted.

She is a Spanish x Nigerian Dwarf doe. Three years old. It's her first time kidding, too. She has not bagged up and acted normal this morning. Ironically, she was the only doe we thought wasn't pregnant.

It's possible she is going into some kind of labor. I felt for kids and maybe felt one? The timing would be right if she is. About 5 months ago, she went in with our buck. We thought she was sterile, based on what we'd been told. So while we're pulling our hair out waiting for the other two to pop, this happens...

Any idea what am I dealing with here? :idunno

Your help is very appreciated.

MrsB

Attachments

• 20150914_200922.jpg
    20150914_200922.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 189

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
I don't think that is normal, it is nothing I have ever seen and I have had many many does have kids. If anything I would suspect a miscarriage. I have never seen tissue passed during a normal labor and delivery. But they are goats and I could be completely wrong so I would just watch her and assume she is in labor and see what happens. Good luck

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'm stumped.

I've never seen anything like that either and I've been doing this a long time. Is it possible that she kidded earlier and the baby is missing? It could be a piece of placenta still hanging.... Predators are good at 'delivering' babies and eating placenta. But, if that were the case she'd probably be crying and searching...but maybe not if she never got to bond with the baby. Really hope that's not the case!

But, you said she has no udder so that doesn't really seem likely. Of course, there is the occasional doe that doesn't bag up until she kids anyway.

Or - I wonder if she has had a placental separation? It doesn't really look totally like placenta. Do you see any lumpy, bumpy spots on it?

Does she act like she's in labor? Any pushing, or nesting?

It looks like mucous, but if it feels solid it's definitely something that's not supposed to be there before delivering a kid.

Have you tried to do an internal exam to see if she's dilated? I'd be real careful and wash her off thoroughly. You don't want to shove any of that 'stuff' back in and contaminate her any more.

Have you checked her temp?

These are just some of my ramblings...kind of thinking out loud so don't put too much stock in any of it. Or you could just give it a wait and see. If she's not in any distress and doesn't have a temp it won't hurt to wait a little bit. BUT - if nothing changes by morning I'd be thinking of calling a veterinarian.

Good luck and please let us know how it goes!

Ferguson K

Herd Master
Reaction score
Following. You should post the pictures of her stance you sent me those morning.

MrsBrooke

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Sorry for the delay!!

So far, very little change. The "skin" seems to have passed, as it is no longer there. Unless it sucked back into her body, it's gone. There is no evidence of a dead baby or mummified kid or afterbirth or anything.

Caramel_Labor2.jpgCaramel_Labor4.jpg

^^^ These photos were taken 9/15/15 at 6am. She was squatting a little and having contractions, but they were tiny.

Caramel_Labor3.jpeg

^^^ This is 9/15/15 at 5pm. No more contractions. No more blood. No more anything... She looks a little swollen and "open."

I'm hoping whatever it was that she passed was just moving out of the way for perfectly healthy kids and an uncomplicated (if surprising) birth!!! She was locked in the barn for the duration of the tissue episode, but we have moved her in with her pregnant aunt and mother to see what happens. :)

MrsB

MrsBrooke

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I'm stumped.

I've never seen anything like that either and I've been doing this a long time. Is it possible that she kidded earlier and the baby is missing? It could be a piece of placenta still hanging.... Predators are good at 'delivering' babies and eating placenta. But, if that were the case she'd probably be crying and searching...but maybe not if she never got to bond with the baby. Really hope that's not the case!

We have not found any evidence of a baby, and there wouldn't be many places for her to hide it. We did look around the area and found nothing.

But, you said she has no udder so that doesn't really seem likely. Of course, there is the occasional doe that doesn't bag up until she kids anyway.

We noticed she started bagging up this morning (9/17/15).

Or - I wonder if she has had a placental separation? It doesn't really look totally like placenta. Do you see any lumpy, bumpy spots on it?

Not that I was able to see... It felt smooth and looked shiny.

Does she act like she's in labor? Any pushing, or nesting?

Maybe yes? I saw her pushing a little on 9/15/15 when I was out with her, but I found out about braxton contractions, and she has not been "pushing" since. I see no evidence of nesting.

It looks like mucous, but if it feels solid it's definitely something that's not supposed to be there before delivering a kid.

Agreed.

Have you tried to do an internal exam to see if she's dilated? I'd be real careful and wash her off thoroughly. You don't want to shove any of that 'stuff' back in and contaminate her any more.

No internal exam... I'm not 100% sure how to do that, but I do know sanitation is key!! We've got gloves and lube and antibacterial stuff, so we *could* if we needed to.

Have you checked her temp?

No. She is still very alert and aware. Doesn't "feel" warm.

These are just some of my ramblings...kind of thinking out loud so don't put too much stock in any of it. Or you could just give it a wait and see. If she's not in any distress and doesn't have a temp it won't hurt to wait a little bit. BUT - if nothing changes by morning I'd be thinking of calling a veterinarian.

Whatever it was seems to have passed. There was a little dried bloody mucous on the floor of the barn, but no lumps of tissue or a "murder scene." She still appears to be aloof of the whole situation. She's a very skittish goat, so we have to *catch* her to examine her, which is stressful on everyone. :/

Good luck and please let us know how it goes!

Thank you for your thoughts!!

MrsB

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
The squatting looks like a pretty normal pose for a goat about to go into labor. But that tissue still has me concerned. I have never had or seen a goat prolapse so no help there. I have never had a goat with any blood before a delivery either so that too is a different. Hopefully she is pregnant and will do the deed and clear up the mystery.

Latest posts