First time kidding with possible problems

TOMRAMSEY

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
We are in the middle of our first kidding. Pygmy goat. Water broke 3 hours ago. Light labor for a while. Water sac visible for two hours. She has stopped pushing for 30 minutes

SkyWarrior

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
We are in the middle of our first kidding. Pygmy goat. Water broke 3 hours ago. Light labor for a while. Water sac visible for two hours. She has stopped pushing for 30 minutes

Babies should be out. Scrub up and get gloves on. You're going in. Start feeling for a baby and get it into the "diver" or "backward diver" position. You could have a breech or a tangled birth. Not good. Been there.

TOMRAMSEY

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Went in. Found feet. She isn't dilated enough to pull anything through. She is now calm and pushing about every 10 minutes

TOMRAMSEY

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Felt again. Not breech. Felt head.

SkyWarrior

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
You need to feel feet first. See if you can get the kid's feet to the front.

Edited: I noticed you did feel the feet. I would be somewhat concerned that the baby isn't out with the water breaking. Let me take a look and see what I can find about it. Every time I let it go slowly I lose a kid. Even if I'm in a rush. Can you grab the legs and pull?

Last edited:

TOMRAMSEY

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I felt one foot and a head. Tried pulling but to no avail. Didn't want to pull too hard and hurt kid. Did not feel second foot.

SkyWarrior

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Oh damn. You need to get that second foot. Go back in and find it and get it stretched out so it won't hang up. There is your problem.

TOMRAMSEY

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
image.jpg
I can't find the second foot. She has stopped pushing. This Is how she looks

SkyWarrior

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Get your hand in there and follow the first leg to the chest. You'll find the second leg most likely curled beneath the chest. Slip a finger underneath the chest and get that leg straightened to match the one that is out. At this point, I recommend pulling the kid only after you do that. The kid may or may not be dead now, but if she has another kid in there, you're saving them. Or you're saving her. And yes, there isn't much room to work in there.