Flemish Doe's ear full of scabs -Pictures may be a little disturbing-

Akpahsj

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I wasn't sure if some people would be bothered by these pictures, so that's why I added that to the title.

I just noticed today when I was putting her in with my buck to breed, my flemish doe has scabs in her ear.
I have some pictures, because I cannot really explain how it looks. But I hadn't noticed this until today.
Well, it hurts for sure, because she is very sensitive when you are touching her ears. Even when you just pet her head, she flinches.
It cannot be from other rabbits, since she has been alone for a month, with no contact whatsoever until today. And, she is the biggest of our rabbits.
Her scabes were bleeding today, but I am sure it was not from the buck. I watched them, and he did not touch her ears. I don't know hwy they were bleeding exactly, maybe because she was agitated?
But what can I use to clear this out? Is it ear mites? and if it is, does that mean my other rabbits could catch it? I am not so worried about the other rabbits, just my buck who she was with today. Not for that long though, since she was only in there maybe 20-30 min. I just want her to be a healthy, happy rabbit. :) Thanks.

[You can't see it very well, but on the side of her ear which you can't see its all scabby, but not bloody like this side. And it is only in this ear.]

IMG_0512.JPG

IMG_0511.JPG

TherapyBunnies

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Looks like ear mites to me. With you just breeding her AVOID Ivermectim. I have used Olive Oil successfully. Some say clean the loose scabs out other say don't. I do as much as possible as this removes mites that are still alive. The oil will kill the mites & help the ear heal.

You can use Ivermectin as a preventative & dewormer on the rabbits not pregnant. Adjust dose for weight.

terri9630

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I have used mineral oil for ear mites. It smothers the mites and loosens the scabs at the same time.

CYGChickies

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
We have seen scabs worse than that on rabbits--makes my skin crawl! Those mites are so tiny but make such a big effect in a rabbit's ear. We do olive oil in the ear three days, then take a ten day break and repeat to kill any that may have survived as eggs. Our little Lionhead buck had a scabby ear that was horrible and in three days the scabs were almost 100% gone and after the second treatment there were no recurrences.

HWC