Florida White doe crossed with NZ/Cali buck?

Ariel72

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I'd like to get a pair of Florida Whites to cross and mix and match with my NZ/ Californian pair. I would let the FW doe have a couple of purebred litters, to make sure she is fully mature, before crossing her with my big buck. Has anyone done this with success before? Is it reasonably safe for the doe?

ruthless

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Since FW are supposed to be at maturity 5-6 pounds and NZ can be 10-12, I would be very concerned about the size difference if using the FW doe.
But I have not done it.

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
4lbs HL doe was bred to my 9lbs Cali buck by accident. She had her first litter of 6, all good size, she is fine, 3 kits dead. Other 3 thriving on a foster mom.
So, possible.

adorable

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
OF course it is possible. I have done no problem. YOu get better babies with that type of mix breed. More meat to bone ratio

Ariel72

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
secuono said:
4lbs HL doe was bred to my 9lbs Cali buck by accident. She had her first litter of 6, all good size, she is fine, 3 kits dead. Other 3 thriving on a foster mom.
So, possible.
Why did the three survivors need to go to a foster mom, was the HL doe unable to care for them?

Ariel72

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
adorable said:
OF course it is possible. I have done no problem. YOu get better babies with that type of mix breed. More meat to bone ratio
Wow, glad to hear that!

animalmom

Herd Master
Reaction score
I think it would be easier on the doe... in a perfect world... if the buck was the Florida White and the doe the larger breed. You would still get the added gene pool to get a better meat to bone, and at the same time eliminate the worry of the smaller doe having birthing problems.

As I said, in a perfect world and I know sometimes you go with what you have and keep your fingers crossed.

I think your idea of letting the FW have a couple pure breed litters first is a good idea... and then see what happened breeding to a larger buck.

Just not something I would advocate: smaller doe, larger buck.

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
Ariel72 said:
secuono said:
So, possible.
Why did the three survivors need to go to a foster mom, was the HL doe unable to care for them?
It was her first litter and I did not want to risk loosing the other 3. She did produce milk and make a nest, but had them on the wire. I brought them back for feeding once a day for 2 weeks, then let the foster mom take over full time. The dead 3 died of cold and exposure, couldn't revive them.

Chris

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Ariel72 said:
I'd like to get a pair of Florida Whites to cross and mix and match with my NZ/ Californian pair. I would let the FW doe have a couple of purebred litters, to make sure she is fully mature, before crossing her with my big buck. Has anyone done this with success before? Is it reasonably safe for the doe?
If it was me, I would use the Florida White Buck over both the Florida White Doe and the New Zealand/ Californian cross Doe. This way you still get pure Florida Whites and you start your meat cross.

Chris

terri9630

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
secuono said:
Ariel72 said:
secuono said:
So, possible.
It was her first litter and I did not want to risk loosing the other 3. She did produce milk and make a nest, but had them on the wire. I brought them back for feeding once a day for 2 weeks, then let the foster mom take over full time. The dead 3 died of cold and exposure, couldn't revive them.
If you don't let her learn with the first litter she can't learn how to take care the next litters.