Getting discouraged...

Hens and Roos

Herd Master
Reaction score
So our 1st time doe is now due- this morning she as moving hay into her nest box- so I gave her another 2 big handfuls which she moved some, we also noticed that she was pulling fur off her tummy area! We are so hoping for her to do a good job.

P.O. in MO

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Keep us posted, I have one due tomorrow. Keeping my fingers crossed. She was carrying hay around a week ago but since I put the nest box she hasn't pulled any fur.

Hens and Roos

Herd Master
Reaction score
She had 2 sometime last night/early this am- both were very big compared to the kits our other does had. unfortunately they were dead, not sure why or what happened- she did a good job of building a nest -pulled lots of hair but still a first timer :idunnoguess we will try again.

P.O. in MO

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Sorry to hear it H & R, was hoping you'd get a bunch. First timers are always more iffy and nothing is ever for certain with any of mine. Hope you have better luck next time. One of my other does had 4 last time and they were big too, and one of them was born dead.

Hens and Roos

Herd Master
Reaction score
thanks P.O. we were actually surprised that the kits were as big as they were. Now we just have to figure the timing out so we can potentially have rabbits in time for DD and DS to show at fair for 4-H. Thinking we may rebreed this doe so we get hopefully a litter that would be older and then re-breed the older 2 does so we have younger ones.

P.O. in MO

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
My doe came thru. She was due Tuesday nite and she was pulling hair when I was out Tuesday morning. I went out early and she had 7, all alive and well covered with fur. This was her second litter her first was 11 with 10 surviving. I am happy with 7, hopefully they will all make it.

issy

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Anyone have problems with a confused buck? I have a buck and two does, and so far, any time we put him with one of them, he gets excited but he tends to mount the wrong end >.< as you can imagine, this is not productive at all. We've attempted about four times, and he's a year and a half old.

SA Farm

Herd Master
Reaction score
Usually it's best to put the doe in with the buck instead of the other way around. Often young or inexperienced bucks (and even experienced bucks) will get the wrong end occasionally or at first. They usually figure it out after a while. If not you could always try pointing him in the right direction ;)

issy

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I knew about putting her in with him, I read that somewhere, she gets defensive of her space or something. We do that. I've even tried holding the doe with the appropriate end facing the buck, and he still goes around her to the front. I thought of leaving her in with him over night, but someone told me they'd end up fighting instead. I have a hutch with two cages side by side, so I tried putting them in that way, close to each other, but can't fight for a day or two then trying again, but always the same problem.

Hens and Roos

Herd Master
Reaction score
My doe came thru. She was due Tuesday nite and she was pulling hair when I was out Tuesday morning. I went out early and she had 7, all alive and well covered with fur. This was her second litter her first was 11 with 10 surviving. I am happy with 7, hopefully they will all make it.
That's great! Congrats on the litter :weee