Getting discouraged...

P.O. in MO

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Thanks Hens and Roos. Issy, I have had a buck mount the wrong end also but he usually gets around to doing it right after a while. How long are you waiting before giving up and putting them back in their own cages. I had a doe that was hard to breed at first and I sat out in the shed for an hour and a half one morning before he bred her twice and at least that long that night. He had only bred her once that evening and they hadn't been fighting, she had just been running around a squealing and refusing service. I left them together all night. I ended up with a litter and nobody was bloody the next morning. There is a risk to doing this, just depends on the rabbits. I was at the end of my rope with her and was going to make stew if she didn't come thru with a litter. I was just worried she would damage my buck. It worked out. She has been easier since then, still a little problem but the last time morning took about 20 minutes and nite maybe 40. Hope you get this worked out.

Striker911

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Going to sub to this thread to look at later. I am in AR and in the same boat. Its not easy. Have had rabbits for almost 2 years and not one litter at all. My best bet is to buy them o_O

issy

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Thanks p.o. we usually give them about half an hour (he tends to get bored and start exploring her food and water etc after that. ) Right now, we got a bit frustrated and borrowed a buck from a friend, and hopefully have two liters due on the 8th.

SA Farm

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thanks p.o. we usually give them about half an hour (he tends to get bored and start exploring her food and water etc after that. ) Right now, we got a bit frustrated and borrowed a buck from a friend, and hopefully have two liters due on the 8th.
If he's consistently...confused, it may be time to replace him. If you're does aren't fighting him or grumpy in that half-hour, you could try leaving them in longer and see how he does, but I have the same philosophy with my bucks as I do with my does, 3 strikes and they're out. If a buck fails to breed an experienced doe three times in a row, he usually ends up in freezer camp.
Hopefully your friend's buck got the job done! :D
ETA: You could also try holding the doe with her head outside of the cage so that the only end he has available is the rear and see how that goes. :hu