Reaction score
Heifer:
image.jpeg

image.jpeg
Cow:
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

We have two cows that should be calving any day... But I've thought that for about a week now. These are the first cows we've had and I'm pretty nervous... The older cow, who is the mother of our other one, has been bagged up for over a week now. And she looks awful springy... Her stuff bounces all over the place. But still no calf! The other is a heifer. She's finally developing udders and is getting a bit springy. Can anyone give me an idea of when We should expect to see a calf? Thee pictures are from yesterday.
Please do not mind the mud in the pictures. I could only get them by the feed bin because the bull isn't thrilled about anyone getting near his women....

TAH

Herd Master
Reaction score
Heifer:
View attachment 18822
View attachment 18821 Cow: View attachment 18818 View attachment 18819
View attachment 18820

We have two cows that should be calving any day... But I've thought that for about a week now. These are the first cows we've had and I'm pretty nervous... The older cow, who is the mother of our other one, has been bagged up for over a week now. And she looks awful springy... Her stuff bounces all over the place. But still no calf! The other is a heifer. She's finally developing udders and is getting a bit springy. Can anyone give me an idea of when We should expect to see a calf? Thee pictures are from yesterday.
Please do not mind the mud in the pictures. I could only get them by the feed bin because the bull isn't thrilled about anyone getting near his women....
I will tag some people hew will know.

@cjc
@WildRoseBeef

Goatgirl47

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
One of my cows is due to calve with her second calf on June 25, and has been bagging up for the past two weeks. She has been slower then usual (and usually she's VERY slow) when we bring them to and from the pasture every morning and night, and she looks ready to burst!

Do you know the date that your cows were bred? Or were they in with the bull for a few months?

Reactions: TAH

Apaulsen2890

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
The bull went in with the on August 27th and hasn't been out since. I have no clue when the deed was actually committed. We saw him trying a few times a few days later but nothing that looks successful. But obviously he got them at some point since they're huge haha! Our older cow is slowing down and walking kinda funny especially with her udders getting bigger. Tonight when they got grain she had very little interest in food. She just kind of stared off into space. Usually she's the biggest hog of them all!

Goatgirl47

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Then I'd say that the older cow will calve within the next few weeks, and the heifer, if she just started bagging up, has probably 3-5 weeks left (all of our first-calf heifers always started developing an udder about a month from calving). But that is just my guess. :)

Good luck! I'm looking forward to seeing calf pictures soon. ;) BTW, is the bull a Hereford too?

Apaulsen2890

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Oh my goodness! I hope it's not that long! :barnie It wasn't long after the bull was let out before the he was on them so I can't see it being too much longer. I'm talking less than a week and he was doing the deed. If he got them the day he was out they would have been due on the 5th.
The heifer has been getting an udder for a while. Her teets started getting big and were filled up looking yesterday when they came in to get grain.

cjc

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Just based on the pictures I think that your heifer is a little bit away. I would say about 4 weeks would be my guess. I just had a heifer calve today with a small bag like yours has. As many people told me heifers can be confusing by the bag. But a clear sign with our last heifers have been their back end. It gets really "sloppy" and they will start to hold their tails to the side a ton. Pay attention to any discharge. Once you start to see a clear discharge it wont be too long. Our heifers bag is not nearly as tight as our cows are before they calve. I think you will expect bigger changes in her back end before she calves.

I think your cow will be sooner as her bag is really full. I would be thinking it won't be too long for her.

I think your bull is a mix, I can always see a Hereford mix by the curly hair on the top of the head. Only our cross bred Herefords have that curly hair do.