Getting new pigs to get along, Tips N Tricks?

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'm getting a 14wk AGH piglet this weekend.
My other two are 6mo or so now, 30# each I'd guess.
we just had 7F temps, shpuld be a bit warmer now. But I don't want the new piglet to sleep alone and not be able to keep herself warm enough and freeze.
Other two have an A-frame hut from pallets, back is closed off, tarps on top, stuffed with hay. They stay toasty in there.
Would the lone glit baby be able to stay warm in such a hut, too?

How do I make intro go smoothly? Anyway to speed things up any?
Never had to introduce a new hog to other hogs.

Should I bring her into the rabbit shed at night? It's heated to keep rabbit water bottles from freezing. If so, what nightly temps should I bring her in at?

She's with her siblings now. I really do not want to buy her sister or a brother as well. I could if I absolutely have to, but rather not.

So, any tips or tricks or insight?

Thanks!

Hens and Roos

Herd Master
Reaction score
not sure, given that she will be smaller than your older two, she could possibly get picked on or squished. if I remember correctly when piglets are weaned they are combined together but all are in a new area so they are all on the same level so to speak. They are also close in size to each other. I have only worked with pigs that were housed inside building. Hopefully others will post with tips and help for you.

mysunwolf

Herd Master
Reaction score
I would give her an extra-insulated house and separate her from the others with a strong fence for at least a week. My neighbor has stories of pigs killing smaller, newly-introduced pigs. Best to introduce them slowly.

jk47

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Pigs can be really mean to other pigs and its even worse if there not in the same litter or at least raised together after weaning. So I would advise not housing them together
I have seen pigs get really beat up by other pigs from there same litter.it would be even worse when they have never seen the pig before and if there not the same weight then they might get killed by the other pigs.so if you really need to house them there see if you can spilt the shelter so they well be away from each other. Be the way I've had a pig that we but with a different pig not from the same litter. and the one pig got so beat up and bloody I thought it would die

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I had a pet pot belly pig once, she adored French fries. When we went out to eat, I took home a piggy bag!

koop

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
This is late, but there's a spray that you spray in their noses that can stop fighting, you'd find it at a ag supply store.
Or you could try rubbing any kind of scent into their noses and over the new pig.
If you plan to mix them there is no time that's better then the other

Mraya

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
BTW is it normal for pigs to do everything together. They eat,sleep and even go to the bathroom together. If one goes for a mud bath the other one follows. If one goes for a swim the other one goes too. They are very young about 7 weeks will this change as they grow?