Getting started with meat rabbits

3kidsmom

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
We are just looking into getting started with meat rabbits. Any suggestions on what breeds are better? My parents raised rabbits when we were young. Californians and New Zealands. Any suggestions or input would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!! :)

brentr

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Do a little searching in the Meat Rabbits section on the topic. You'll find numerous threads asking essentially the same question. And the answer is usually some variation of "Californians and NZ are great, some other breeds are just as good, and there is no magic answer to the question, so find the breed that will work best for you given your location and circumstances." Reading those threads will give you a lot of info and probably answer most of your questions up front.

And I raise NZ and Cali's, with one doe who is NZW X Giant Chinchilla. :)

mama24

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I really want Champagne d'Argents, but I can't find any in my area. If I come across some, I'll probably get at least one, though. I think they're very pretty. :) And there's nothing wrong with choosing an animal b/c it's pretty, even if you plan on eating it, imo. I have some very pretty roosters that are headed to the stew pot! ;)

3kidsmom

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Thank you all very much for the input and suggestions. I definitely have some research to do before I get my rabbits. :D I want to be really prepared for them.