Getting Started

Smith360

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Hello! I have been stalking this forum for weeks and have finally decided to bombard you all with all my millions of newbie questions. I didn't know where to post this but here, so my apologies if I'm not in the right spot! Well, I have decided to get milk goats. I would like maybe a pair of Nigerian Dwarfs. I like them because they are easy to handle and their milk is supposed to be creamier. I also have stomach problems and I'm hoping goats milk will be easier for me to handle. Sooo here are my questions....

1. What feed and supplements do they require? ( We grow our own alfalfa/ grass mix hay)
2. What vaccinations and wormers do they require?
3. Can I house my goats with my small flock of sheep?
4. How often do they escape?
5. Do Nigerians have different housing requirements?
6. (Here's a stupid one) Are their certain feeds that will affect the taste of the milk?
7. Could I breed my girls with a boar buck? Would this cause complications?
8. How much milk will they produce daily on average?
9. Could we use the kids for goat tying, like for rodeo? Or would their little legs be to small?
10. Could we use the goat's milk to feed any bottle lambs we might have?
Thanks sooo much for answering my questions!

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Greetings @Smith360 :frow :welcome & the forums! If that's all you got for questions, you're not trying hard enough!:gig There's many on here with much more experience than I (I have exactly zero ;) ) but from my research, I would not recommend breeding a large buck (breed) to a small doe (breed)... that's asking for birthing nightmares! :ep:th:hide Now going the other way 'round produces "minis," which are becoming hugely popular. Good luck!

Smith360

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Oh trust me, that was just a warm up! ;) the reason I asked is there is a large boar goat breeder just down the road and I'm not exactly picky whether I get purebred kids.

Oh more questions!!!

10. Would it be a good investment to buy a pair of $300 doelings ( they are registered and out of a milking line)?
11. Would it be worth it to keep a buck if I only had two does?

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
Don't breed them to a boar

1. Alfalfa/grass is great. As far as feed, that depends no right or wrong answer. Mine get a little bit all of the time. Some just give on milk stand.
2. CD&T at minimum. We vaccinate for rabies all though most do not. Wormers depend on the result of fecals. You should learn how to FAMANCHA score their eyelids, and get regular fecals.
3. I think so? Although they share common parasites. I don't have sheep so I can't say for sure.
4. Mine never try to escape. Mine have plenty of room and are well fed. Of course a buck will try to break in with a doe in heat, and a doe in heat will try to break in with a buck
5. Nothing special. Need a dry place out of wind and rain.
6. Not sure about feeds, but certian browse like wild onions will.
7 NO
8. That can vary greatly. I've seen some only get a couple of cups. My best ones will peak at around 2 quarts at 3-4 months in to lactation and last year was still giving over a quart at state fair about 8 months in. I've got some that will peak at a quart and some a quart and a half.
But, also none of mine are doing as well this year. Not sure exactly why, probably a couple of reasons.
9. I have no clue. I don't think they would like it, and not sure you would want to stress a dairy goat like that.
10. Yes, you can feed to bottle lambs.

11. Now that's up to you. Generally speaking the better stock you start with the better off you will be. But, that's not to say you couldn't get good ones that were not registered, just usually less information. $300 is not a bad price. When you say they are "out of a milking line", that can mean something but can also mean nothing. I see that term overused. You have a goat in the background from a big name farm and they say they come from "strong milk lines " Look at the pedigree and look for milk stars on their names. That's the surest way to tell. I've got some that I've paid much more than $300 and it was money well spent. Wouldn't sell them for $million now.

12. That's up to you. Will you have access to a buck for breeding if you don't?

Last edited:

Smith360

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Thanks for all the answers! Umm how do you test for fecals? And what is CD & t? And no there are no dwarfs bucks in my area.

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
Type C and D clostridium and Tetanus
We give ours ourselves you can get at farm supply like TSC
You give to babies at 3-4 weeks and then a second shot 10 days later
Then you give one annual booster shot
We give our does their annual booster about a month before they kid
Fecals some get a microscope and do themselves
We have a good goatie friend with a PHD in animal science who lives a few miles who we pay
We have a state ag lab in Raleigh that will do them our friend is just easier
Some vets can do them
You will need to find a good vet who knows something about goats
We are blessed in that regard here
Others have a hard time finding one who knows much about goats

Where are you located?

Last edited:

Hens and Roos

Herd Master
Reaction score
Welcome :frow, glad you joined us. We just added goat this past fall and are learning lots! Everyone is very helpful :thumbsup

x2 on what @OneFineAcre says about finding a good vet who knows about goats!!

Smith360

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
About 30 miles outside of Rapid City, South Dakota. And thanks everyone! This has been super helpful!

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Since you don't have a buck, and there are no other Nigie owners nearby with a buck, you might consider buying one (and a weather to keep him company). even if you have to drive a ways, you should try to get one from different lines than your does.

You don't want the buck with the does full time or you'll have unplanned pregnancies. Not to mention the fact that a rutting buck can smell quite potent. Better to keep the buck separate with a weather companion and then put him with the does when you are planning for them to get pregnant :old

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
you should try to get one from different lines than your does.

:old
Why is that?

What do you mean by "line"

If it is a good "line" you might want a buck from the "line"

I have a doe that I'm going to breed to her half brother this fall