Goat Barn Design **Diagram Added Pg2

Melissa'sDreamFarm

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
How about with a 6 x 13 goat area?

2467_goatbarn2.jpg

Of course the Kidding stall will only be for a few months and I maybe could work the milk stand some other way. Hay stacked along the wall would add insulation.

SDGsoap&dairy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
That's going to be great! But I think Kate's talking about your hay feeder. You'll have one doe that wants to claim the whole dang thing even though there's enough food and space for 5 goats. Those on the bottom of the totem pole sometimes don't get enough. If you want to feed them all from one hay manger it'll have to be pretty large, or you can have multiple mangers but that means more work filling them.

Going to be REALLY nice though!

Melissa'sDreamFarm

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Oh BTY, this is a shed type design. 8 foot in the front (hay storage) and 6' at the back (covered porch).

We just got through building a 8 x 8 storage shed with a pitch roof, I had no fun at ALL. My husband was very mad at me for days for making him cut a "template" to use to cut the other rafters the same.

Melissa'sDreamFarm

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Feeder was meant as a grain feeder. Opps, I will build two or three hay bale racks to hold bales of hay in the barn for them to eat from.

SDGsoap&dairy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Uh- never mind then. You'll want to ignore my previous comment. :p

Except they do the same thing with grain, so your bossiest girl will also be your tubbiest girl if it's narrow enough for her to bogart.

helmstead

Goat Mistress
Reaction score
Yeah I was referring to grain feeders. Because, see, they won't ALWAYS be in milk and you won't ALWAYS feel like taking the time to feed them 1x1 in the stanchion. I like design 2 better ;)

For instance, my goats all have to poke their lil heads through our field fence to eat their grain...laid out in 10' rows. Harder to bogart LOL

Latest posts