Goat housing

annabelle333

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I am getting two Nigerian dwarf or pygmy nannies and am looking at housing options for them. The issue is...I am not much of a builder and my husband simply doesn't have the time to mess with it a whole lot. We are open to buying a prefab, small barn/shed and trying to make it work. I want to breed and have an area for milking and of course keeping them safe from the elements. My question is- can you buy a prefab goat barn that is reasonable? or can I make a prefab work for my needs for secure goats/ birthing quarters/milking area ? Any advice for a lady with no carpentry skills would be appreciated! I am willing to pay for a prefab goat barn if it is cheap enough if anyone has suggestions! Or tips on making something ordinary work that I can do...

Thanks!

annabelle333

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Good point... My budget is around 5,000 dollars for the whole unit...additions included in that.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yep... you can look up for your area sheds.

Here are a few examples.... the 2nd one is more practical.
horse-barns-15.jpg

image-112.jpg

annabelle333

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Can you explain why the second is more practical? Also...I have read that I need a manger, above ground sleeping quarter, quarters for birthing and an area for a smiling station? Is this all necessary? I so appreciate you posting these and spending the time explaining to a newbie!

thank you!

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
The second is more for goats. Goats generally do well in a 3 sided shelter. Airflow is important. Depending on your region and they weather. In the second one you can use the closed side for kidding stall, milk area or divide it and do hay storage and milking. Kidding stalls are used for a short time.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Forgot... you just need something to keep the hay in for a feeder. My goats have sleeping shelves. They like to be up high LOL.

If you have oppurtunity to do so see if you can visit some of the farms you might be interested in getting goats from. Goats don't need luxury at all. These shelters for most of us would be. LOL

annabelle333

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
So an open side is important? I am in Oklahoma which has extreme cold and hot spells-I was thinking a lock in area was better? I don't know anything so is this wrong?

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
You can get a lot for $5000
They don't need to be closed in
3 sided is fine
Mine does not have any doors to close of
If you look on my farm thread you can see a recent building I did and also how I did my kidding stalls
I built myself but you could do that type of construction and hire someone for less than 5k

TwoCrows

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I used one of those kit sheds, similar to what Southern By Choice has shown you here. It was an 8x10 wooden shed, like the kind you get from Lowes or Home Depot. You might find one within your budget there. I made stalls inside the shed and one side was a walk way where I also stored hay. It was perfect for my pygmy's. Although they loved to chew on the doors. LOL You can use thin sheet metal to cover exposed areas of the doors or other ares they might chew on. :)