goat in labor how long does it last

Melissa'sDreamFarm

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I'm just so glad that I work with a bunch of good people. I work at the Vet School and get to go down and visit her often. My husband works in the barn so he's right there to check on her and called me when she woke up. I'm just counting my blessings and hopefully in a couple of days Annabell will get to come home for her retirement and our enjoyment.

redtailgal

Reaction score
Sounds to me like she is in some excellent hands and it sounds like she is doing amazingly well. She's a tough gal isnt she?

:hugs

SDBoerGoats

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Melissa'sDreamFarm said:
I'm just so glad that I work with a bunch of good people. I work at the Vet School and get to go down and visit her often. My husband works in the barn so he's right there to check on her and called me when she woke up. I'm just counting my blessings and hopefully in a couple of days Annabell will get to come home for her retirement and our enjoyment.
That's awesome that you both work at the vet school. She's getting the best care possible, and you are there to keep up her spirits. Praying she keeps getting better for you. You ARE a great goat mom!

ThreeBoysChicks

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Wow - That is awesome that you have those resources available. Sounds like she is in great hands. Will pray for your girl.

Melissa'sDreamFarm

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
She is walking around good today and ate some. Her appetite is still off, she didn't finish her goat chow. She is no longer getting IV fluids, but they are still giving her oxytocin. She will have a uterine flush and hopefully they can get her to pass the rest. She has a fever and her heart rate is up. But when they stay in the stall with her and talk to her a bit her heart rate goes down. I believe she doesn't want to be alone. I also believe she's looking for her baby. She's still calling out for us (me and my sister) and when we go in she licks us like she's cleaning us off. Strong goat mothering instincts.

I talked to the surgeon last night. He said the baby was small and had been dead for "a while". The baby and placenta were "degraded" too much and he couldn't take all the placenta out safely. The key is for her to eat and drink on her own and expel the stuff that could not be taken out. We are not out of the woods yet and I do have my spending limit as to how much care they can give. There may come a time that I have to let her go, but I've come to that decision and I think I've done the best I could do to save Annabell. Today is another day and after lunch I'll know more.

Thanks for your encouraging words and well wishes for AB.

Melissa

SuburbanFarmChic

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Crossing my fingers for her. I've been following the story and she seems like such a sweet girl and hopefully she's a fighter too and will pull through for you.