goat in labor how long does it last

redtailgal

Reaction score
Poor girl.

I really hope, esp after all this, that she does pull thru for you. It's obvious how much you love her............ :fl :hugs

Melissa'sDreamFarm

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Thought ya'll might enjoy a picture of my sweet baby.

photobucket-28228-1335973549068.jpg

photobucket-16008-1335973534716.jpg

Tmaxson

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
She is such a beautiful girl. I wish the best for all of you.

SDBoerGoats

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Awww, she is so pretty and she looks SOOO sweet. Sending you nothing but good thoughts and wishes for a full recovery! Hang in there Annabelle!

terrilhb

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
She is so pretty. Prayers are still coming for her and you.

Mzyla

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
It is heartbreaking story....You are good momma to her, doing everything you can.
Be strong! We all praying and crossing our fingers for AnnaBelle to get well!
:hugs

Melissa'sDreamFarm

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
The afternoon flush got a lot of the tissue, infection and retained placenta out. The vets were really pleased.

She is doing really well and I have reached my $ limit really quick. She is staying over night tonight and they will do another uterine flush tomorrow and we will take her home. I have it all set up for a private area that adjoins the others and I will have to continue to give her antibiotic injections. The ambulatory service will come out "free of charge" on Friday and do another uterine flush and check on her.

SDBoerGoats

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
That all sounds really positive. She's getting amazing care, and the flush sounds like there were positive results there too. It's all looking really good, hoping for continued good reports!

Melissa'sDreamFarm

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I just wanted to post this so that new goat owners out there know the facts about what I did and what I learned from this experience.

My husband asked me last night if I see now that I made a mistake taking Annabell to the hospital. I of course said NO because "I'm never wrong". But this got me to thinking if new goat owners saw this thread and figured it was something they could do for their goat in trouble. Well if you have $1200 laying around, yes you can.

Saving Annabell, who can never give me more babies, would be a mistake if I hadn't learned a valuable lesson and had the tough talk with myself. My goats are not pets. I got goats to supplement my family in milk/cheese. Selling babies would never be a profit or business, just help with the feed costs. I had no experience on what a goat looks like that's in "trouble", now I do. Would I do things differently if I had to relive this experience, no, I probably wouldn't because I did not see the signs that things were not good. I was blinded by the love for my goat and thought everything would be fine.

I don't mean to sound harsh, but you must have the talk with yourself. Why do I have goats? If I have a goat in "trouble" what is my plan of action? Do I have a way to put my goat down to end their suffering if I can't afford veterinary care? These are things not discussed on goat forums or backyard farming or urban farming sites or blogs.

Yes I'm miffed with my hubby for forcing me to look at the situation and realize I got into goats with "rose colored glasses". Yes I'm miffed at myself for not seeking the knowledge that I lacked. BUT I'm glad Annabell will be coming home today. She looks really good and is ready to come home. I'm still not sure if she will make it. She is still not eating and I found out they have been giving her some kind of supplement to keep her guts going and I can't continue at home.

This week has been an emotional roller coaster for me. I have rethought my WHOLE backyard farming idea. I have decided to sell my goats, all but Annabell and Cerina. This will also help cover Annabell's bill here. Maybe sometime next year I'll get another one, but I don't need 10 goats for milking. Two are just fine.

So read this thread and learn from my experience and may be have that tough talk with yourself and what would you do if your goat was in trouble medically and you couldn't afford to save them. Call your vet and talk to them about your options and what can be done. Save a little money on the side or talk to someone who could help you put them down humanely.

Melissa

ETA: By the way, you vet can only give you an estimate before surgery. Mine was $500.

Latest posts