Goat(s) spitting up 'great green gobs'

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
IF they were clean when you took them to your new land and that land has never had goats or sheep or deer on it then the vet is right...you'll likely enjoy a period of time that is relatively parasite free. But it won't stay that way. Our extension vet says that the period of bliss will last approximately 3 years and then bam...you're gonna get a bloom. You'll learn that by reading that thread.

WashingtonBay

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Thanks.... reading through that thread now, while I have lunch. (Sounds weird, but that's the way it is :))

WashingtonBay

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
One quick spam post and I'll have 10...

WashingtonBay

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
OK - Now I can post pics...

Here's the green wads... I didn't sweep this together, they were all found in one place like this, near a pile of hay were it looks like at least one of them bedded down.

attachment.php

This one looks more digested, I guess it's more like what a 'cud' must look like, though I'd never actually seen one.

attachment.php

All the goats seem fine, seem perky, they graze around and do goat things all day, nothing seems wrong with any of them. Their weight is good. No diarrhea.

attachment.php

Too cute not to post, Patty the older Pygmy... who hubby thinks has expressions a lot like the pig in "Babe".

attachment.php

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
Looks like the largest you have there is a Togg...I'm inclined to think that's probably whose doing it cause those cuds look to be a good size (though photos can be misleading).

How many days did it take to accumulate that amount of wads in the one pic?

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
I'm leaning toward your togg being the culprit. Give her a really good once over.

WashingtonBay

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Will do tonight... If she's the one who needs to be inspected, I especially need hubby to help... she's strong! :D

I'm checking her for:

Sore teeth, by feeling?
Stuck cuds in her jaw?
Abscesses?-How would I know this, lumps or pain?

I think she is an older goat... but really don't know.

Natisha

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
WashingtonBay said:
Will do tonight... If she's the one who needs to be inspected, I especially need hubby to help... she's strong! :D

I'm checking her for:

Sore teeth, by feeling?
Stuck cuds in her jaw?
Abscesses?-How would I know this, lumps or pain?

I think she is an older goat... but really don't know.
At least she doesn't have horns. Wouldn't want Hubby to get nailed in the face by one of your critters-again.:lol:

redtailgal

Reaction score
Use all your senses, well maybe not your sense of taste....unless you just want to, that is. :gig

Feel for hard or soft places, swollen places etc.

Watch her reaction to the places that you feel and listen for grunts or squeals of pain or discomfort.

Check way back in the pockets of the cheeks for stuck cud. I have dug stuck cud out of cattle before. It is gross, it stinks. To be blunt, I would have rather gone up the other end. Youve been warned.(hopefully its not so gross with goats)

And smell her mouth, OFTEN but not always infected gums stink as do abcessed teeth, if you smell something that smells like poop, or road kill, or that sickeningly sweet smell or just plain old RAUNCHY.....there is an infection in the mouth throat area.

Latest posts