Goats and cows?

NH homesteader

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have a friend who has a young bull. He wants a friend for this bull, but doesn't want another cow. Apparently he wants a goat. Now, I am sure it won't be safe for the poor goat when this bull reaches maturity, right? Can anyone tell me,generally speaking (and if he were say a steer) , can cattle and goats live together? Are there diseases (other than Johne's, which I know about) that can be passed between the two species?

I am soliciting unsolicited advice for my friend who may or may not listen. But I plan to speak up with any and all information the lovely people on here supply!

NH homesteader

Herd Master
Reaction score
Holy cow I can't watch videos on my terrible internet connection but it sounds unpleasant. I was kind of more concerned about the goat....

Will borrow some real internet tomorrow to see that one. Eek.

NH homesteader

Herd Master
Reaction score
OK my husband got it to work... Yikes! Yay goats?

I think it's a bad idea. Trust me. The bull has already been a little too frisky with people... My husband and I tell him on a weekly (at least) basis to have him steered and put him in the freezer. He looks delicious :D

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
You can look in the cattle section here and find all sorts of instances where people were hurt or killed by bulls. Some breeds are more dangerous than others, but they are ALL capable of killing, intentionally or not. If he doesn't want any more cows, there is absolutely NO reason not to castrate him and make him somewhat safer to be around.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
My girlfriend has her Boers and now 4 Holstiens in the same field. None of them are bulls. Two cows, 2 heifers, and one baby bull soon to be steer. Never had any problems other than the goats won't let the cows eat at the feeder.

NH homesteader

Herd Master
Reaction score
Um... He thinks he's going to breed him. Although he doesn't know anyone with cows so doesn't sound like a great idea huh? Trust me, I have shown him stories of people being gored by their "friendly" bulls, we've told him about people being accidentally crushed by their bulls... We have shown and told him everything but he's convinced his will be different. Sigh. :barnie:he

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Zoonotic diseases for ruminants (cows and goats are both ruminants...zoonotic means people can get it too)

Bovine TB (goats can also get avian TB but thats harmelss to them)
Brucelosis
Anaplasmosis aka yellow fever
Anthrax
Leptospirosis
Listerosis aka Encephalitis
Pseudocowpox aka Milker's Nodules
Rift Valley Fever
Ringworm
Rabies
Samonella aka typhoid for some strains

Rumanint diseases
Hoof Rot
Black Leg

Parasites
Lice
Manage
Liver Flukes
Coccidiosis

Of course also Mastitis.

I'm sure there are more but there is a nice list for you. This also extends to sheep and some includes dogs, poultry, and pigs.

Last edited: