Goats with bloat

mdavenport121

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I asked about this a couple of months ago about my doe that is about 2 years old. I had her in the back yard, not very big back yard with a couple of other goats, and she would look like she had a couple of beach balls in her rumen. A couple months ago finally got her and the couple of other goats onto a half acre. She looked fine the next six weeks. It's hot and dry here and the forage is not growing good. She looks like she has a couple of beach balls in her rumen again. The other goats look fine. The one that looks bloated eats and acts fine, but I'm worried about her just because of the way she looks. I think I will take her to the vet on Friday and see what they say. Maybe the bacteria in her rumen is not healthy?

20kidsonhill

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I am assuming since the pasture is low you are feeding hay. Maybe the hay isn't good enough quality for her? Or maybe the other goats are knocking her away and she needs more hay.

I would say having a fecal done would be a good idea. If she is wormy she could be bloating and have a more sensitive stomach.

Just some ideas.

mdavenport0121

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I've been doing some reading and think I will try baking soda this evening with her. All they get is feed and hay, plus a little bit of a cedar tree, no minerals. I have a round bale of rye grass for them to eat. She's the bully of the group. She knocks everyone out of the way each night when I put the feed out.

DonnaBelle

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
IMHO it would be a good idea to put out some goat mineral for your goats. They really do need it in their diet, and it's not an expensive item to provide.

I have a goat that has a huge ruman and always has. In fact, she won't eat goat feed, she lives on brouse, grass and in winter hay. It's her choice as she could have feed if she wanted it.

If you do put out some baking soda it won't hurt her. Just let her eat it if she wants it.

Good luck,

DonnaBelle

mdavenport0121

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Well, no such luck with the baking soda. She didn't want anything to do with it. I took some pictures of her this evening. And yes, she may be pregnant, but at the most two months as she has only been with the buck since mid May.

4.jpg

3.jpg

2.jpg

1.jpg

marlowmanor

Reaction score
Are you sure about the breeding date and how far along she should be? Are there any young bucks around her that she may have been exposed to earlier than the mid May timeline? I ask because in the last picture it looks like she is already starting to build an udder on her. Maybe an expert can give their opinion as well but it certainly looks like the start of an udder on her.

Straw Hat Kikos

The Kiko Cowboy
Reaction score
I agree. Most Boers get VERY fat (just like that) when they are pregnant. Also she could have a large worm load.

mdavenport0121

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
She was not with a buck until mid May. She was in my back yard only with her twin does that are four and a half months old. Her utter is much smaller than what it was when she was nursing. I thought it might have been worms too, but I gave her % Ivermectin Injection orally at the beginning of April when I bought her and her twin does. I gave her more dewormer in the middle of May. The previous owner never dewormed her.

You can see her information here: https://sites.google.com/site/davenportgoats/home/Does-and-Nannies/hannah