1. Official BYH Caption Contest #3 - October 2014 - Pic by HoneyDreamMomma
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

2. BYH Featured Thread: Thinking about microdairy
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

3. BYH Picture Contest - Fall 2014
    CLICK HERE!

4. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!

5. Caption Contest Submissions - Pictures Needed
    Click HERE!

Grass for goats

Discussion in 'Everything Else Goats' started by capretta, Mar 29, 2012.

1. Mar 29, 2012
    capretta

capretta Chillin' with the herd

Hey Everybody!
    So we are moving our goats to a new house with us, and I have the opportunity (and want) to plant some grass in their new pen, as it's pretty much just dirt and some nubby weeds right now. So what I'm wondering, is what kind of seed should I throw down in their pen? If anything special at all. It's mid-mud-season right now, and I don't really know what's going to sprout up in their pen, but I think it's going to be mostly native grasses, which I know from experience my goats have no trouble eating :lol:
  2. Mar 29, 2012
    Pearce Pastures

Pearce Pastures Goat Walker

I recommend getting your farm stores best bag of weed seeds :lol: They will love all over the dandelions, plantains, and other stuff you wouldn't dream of actually planting on purpose but they don't do much with grass. We created a new pasture recently and I was going through the same thing, in all seriousness. I did toss down some grass seed, and some of it took root but I just let the rest fill in with weeds and they goats are happy campers.
  3. Mar 30, 2012
    ksalvagno

ksalvagno Alpaca Master

I use a horse pasture seed. It has a few different things in it.
  4. Mar 30, 2012
    EggsForIHOP

EggsForIHOP Ridin' The Range

Last year we bought a bag of seeds at TSC meant for seeding plots where you want deer to come...tossed it out in the little field we could easily irrigate and grew "the most expensive weeds in texas" (according to my husband)....I might have done wrong, but it seemed the goats LOVED it and all we had to do was move them off of it every so often and water and let it rest a few days...due to the drought here it beat the heck outta any other option...

Then we moved...I have enough "free weeds" right now to go around :) The goats skip over the grass, leaving it for the horses, and eat out the stuff the horses won't...
  5. Apr 5, 2012
    Island Creek Farm

Island Creek Farm Chillin' with the herd

I agree with the deer food plot mixes! They usually have peas, turnips, clover etc. I keep wanting to throw some out in our lightly wooded area, but the BF always "borrows" it during hunting season!

Mine don't eat "weeds", even in the horse pasture, but they will eat grass (even though some say goats don't graze, mine do!). Our pasture is russell bermuda with some long-season rye grass.