Hallo

leatherzebra

Just born
Reaction score
Hi, my name is Michele. My long time partner Jason and I are officially 100% planning to get a pair of goats. Yes, planning, as in we're looking at a 2 year timeline. We'd like to keep for milk and the occasional meat (is there a breed that works for both?)

We live in a big house with a big yard in the middle of a city that allows us to have backyard goats (and chickens). We currently have dogs and a cat (and aquariums and a terrarium). I am a vet tech at a small animal practice, but one of our vets keeps horses too and has experience with other hooved-type-critters.

I know the first step of our plan is to rework our fencing. We're planning that anyway, so we're looking at jumping forward and just replacing our standard chain link fencing with something goat-friendlier when we redo it next year. (We're moving our fence line further from the street and moving my garden space across the yard.)

So I guess my very first question is, since most of the articles I'm finding are farm based not backyard based, can we keep the chain link, or do we need to replace it with something else? (We are not allowed to have privacy fencing on our lot because it is a corner lot.)

SA Farm

Herd Master
Reaction score
:welcome I use chain-link for my goats and haven't/don't have problems with it...
Pygmies or a Pygerian (Pygmy/Nigerian Dwarf) are the first options that come to mind for good milk and meat production. They're also backyard sized ;)
I think it's Kiko? that's the standard sized dual-purpose breed? I'm sure there are other options that I'm just not coming up with at the moment!
Look around at some of the pictures on here and I'm sure you'll land on a favorite breed in no time! :D

leatherzebra

Just born
Reaction score
That tickles me to no end. I thought Pygmies were primarily just pets. But in my teen years I worked at a barn that had three breeding pygmies. While I've never been outright responsible for goats before I do have some care experience with pygmies. It would be perfect if they worked out for me. (Side note: around the same time we also had a neighbor who had a pair and a lovely rottweiler in their back yard. I would go visit the trio when I needed break from my house.)

Sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Welcome to BYH :frow

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
Welcome! :welcome

Chain-link is fine for goats. Just make sure its at least 4ft high.

As far as choosing a breed. It sounds like your main goal is milk. How much milk can you use daily? Are you going to make cheese or soap? Just remember you can eat any goat ;)

Are you more comfortable handling a miniature goat or standard sized goat? How large is they area the will be in? Shelter space?

Are you going to hand milk? Will you be able to milk animals with small teats?

Another thing to consider is the butterfat content in goat milk. Different breeds have different butterfat %. Also look at the feed/milk ratio. Find out how much the parent stock eat and how much milk they give. Some goats have an awesome ratio, while others of the same breed have an awful ratio.

It is good to visit different farms, see different breeds, try goats milk from other goat breeds too. BUT when you try milk remember how the breeder manages his/her herd. The first time we tried goats milk, from a Lamancha doe, it was AWFUL:sick! It was because the breeder had a buck in with the does, causing the milk to taste like buck! But our Lamancha doe gives the best milk here:drool

I have heard the Saanens, Toggenburgs and Oberhasli's have awful milk, but others have said it was fine. Just do lots of research BEFORE you buy! :thumbsup

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
Maybe you're thinking about Kinders as a dual purpose breed instead of Kiko's? Maybe not? I have Kinders and they are great, wonderful critters...good sized, good natured, and good milk. Hope you find what you're looking for!

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
Chain-link is fine for goats, though make sure that you install the bottom rail or else your goats will be able to slip right underneath. I've seen people make the mistake of not doing it and the goats do take advantage of the issue.

Kinders are a good dual purpose breed in the medium size range.

Pygmies can be milked but you want to see the doe while she's in milk or her dam in milk before making a decision on her - looking for a nice udder with easily handled teats (though they will be small). They will also provide a nice amount of meat for their size.

leatherzebra

Just born
Reaction score
Our chain link fence right now includes rail road ties that line the bottom and the bottom of the fence is also tethered at points to the ties. Digging out is something we've had to keep puppies from doing in the past, so I will just make sure when we move the fence that those stay as well :)

As for how much milk we drink LOL As much as we can get! First I'm looking for an easier breed to manage so I can get my "goat feet" first. I would love to make soap someday, but firs things first, and the first is making sure I can take care of the animals first.

I did talk to my boss/vet and she is pretty excited. She says she hasn't had a goat in a while and loved having them as a kid.