Handling rabbits Do's and Don'ts!

Livestock lover

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I couldn't find where to make an article (I think it is my computer acting up) so I guess I will just post here.

I know that a lot of people on Backyard Herds have rabbits so I decided I would try to help you rabbit lovers out a bit. When you handle a rabbit always be gentle, rabbits are very sensitive so be careful. Also, you should always support their back legs. If their back legs are not supported they can have leg problems. Never let them jump out of your hands. From two feet they may just run away but internally they could have broken bones! If you ever here a rabbit making weird noises then he is probably in pain because rabbits rarely make any sounds at all.
Feel free to add on to this!
:frow

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
Common sense covers this for the most part. But there are a lot of ways to hold a rabbit depending on size and temperament.

Two feet won't break bones, unless they are raised with poor nutrition or genetically bone weak. Rabbits can jump 5ft into the air, they run and jump off of huge rocks, creeks, etc in the wild. If they are very young and dropped from 4ft on concrete or stone, then yes, it's very possible. But they aren't frail little things in general.

You don't want to ever grab them by the neck or use a 'cat claw' to catch them, rabbits flail like crazy and easily can badly bruise or crack neck bones.

Can't think of anything else yet.

Livestock lover

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I think domesticated rabbits are generally weaker boned and more prone to injury then wild rabbits. :th

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
There are a lot of different breeds of rabbits, I'd think the dwarf and mini rabbits would be more iffy. But at the same time, it would be easy for a giant breed rabbit to end up having weak bones. Either way, don't go tossing or dropping any living things.

Livestock lover

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
secuono said:
There are a lot of different breeds of rabbits, I'd think the dwarf and mini rabbits would be more iffy. But at the same time, it would be easy for a giant breed rabbit to end up having weak bones. Either way, don't go tossing or dropping any living things.
x2 :lol:

Petty

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I agree with you. I see some people lifting rabbits only by the ear. That also is wrong.

Bunnylady

Herd Master
Reaction score
Rabbits that are scared or uncomfortable will kick, violently! They can kick hard enough to break their own backs, which is why you want to make sure the hind limbs are supported/restrained. Also, they can really lacerate you with their claws when they kick.

Some people will pick a rabbit up by the "scruff," and quickly get a hand under the rabbit's rump to support it. I prefer to get under the rabbit and scoop it up (of course, I am working mostly with small breeds). When carrying a rabbit, it's best to keep it supported/cradled so it doesn't feel vulnerable and start struggling - that's when people get scratched and rabbits get dropped. If the rabbit does start to struggle, you need to wrap yourself around the rabbit (something you have to learn to do; the instinct is to react like 'get this crazy thing away from me!' which makes it more likely the rabbit could get dropped). Getting a hand on the belly right in front of the hind legs can prevent the rabbit from kicking, or at least reaching you with a kick. Having the rabbit's back against your chest and the feet facing out while the rabbit blows up protects you both to some degree.

Being carried like a baby, cradled in the crook of your arm with the feet pointed up, is calming for most rabbits.

The time when most people get scratched is usually when the rabbit is being put back in its cage. Often, the rabbit will see the cage and "anticipate" going back in. Carrying the rabbit on its back can make putting the rabbit back in smoother, if you can flip the rabbit onto its feet just as you put it through the door. With practice, you can get your hands and arms out of the way before rabbit even has time to realize it's going back and start wiggling. Another trick is to carry the rabbit feet side down, but with its head in the crook of your arm (football carry) with its eyes covered. Once again, you can move your arms away as the rabbit's feet touch the cage floor, and it is in the cage before it gets a chance to get excited.

Hens and Roos

Herd Master
Reaction score
We have a radio on where our rabbits are living- we find this helps them get use to noise and reduces the amount of freaking out they do when we come by their cages either to feed or take them out.

We like to use the football hold to carry the rabbits-anytime you can make the rabbit feel secure the easier it is to carry them.

mygoldendoe

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I bought some meat rabbits, they are in a temporary community cage (my dads) until their individual ones are finished this weekend.. is there some advise on handling for someone whose afraid of rabbits? I was bit as a child by someones pet and never wanted near them since. But we need the meat. Iv tried getting over this fear by petting the ones that come to me and stand on my arm as I clean, they tolerate it before hopping off but today when I went to feed them I wasn't close to this one by side the one I petted (I thought) and it lunged at my hand. I admit I'm afraid to feed them after that..I dunno how old they are or how they were handled or housed and was told the "momma" of the group but it's humping the others...only one is obviously a male the other three look female..