Hay type

Matt1237958

Herd lurker
Reaction score
I live in MA and i am looking for a type of hay to get for my 3, 4 month old ND. I ussaly get it at a localy feed store, but my vet said to try and find a grassier type. So i went to tractor supply an bought a bale. How do i know if its grassier. Should i be getting a second cut? They are just eating hay and have free choice baking soda and minerals. Im really confused. Thanks for the help!!!

Hens and Roos

Herd Master
Reaction score
Welcome :frow, are there farms close to where you live that you can possible buy hay from? We get ours from a person who has horses and it is a nice mix of grasses.

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
What are you feeding that the vet said you needed a "grassier" type hay?
Alfalfa?

And, what kind are you getting from TSC?

If it's grass hay, it's grass hay.

2nd cut is is just generally a better quality than the first. More fine and palatable. Less coarse stems that goats will not eat.

I would think that in your location Timothy or Orchard Grass would be the best, most available grass hay.

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
It depends on what your vet means by grassier. Does that mean the hay is stemmy or is the hay is to rich and they need something that isn't as high in everything?

When we got our fist goats they had pasture, alfalfa, and feed. They got very FAT and we had to put them on a major diet. Grass hay with pasture (plus minerals)- nothing else.

ETA: posting at the same time as OFA

lkmartin1230

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
TSC, sells Compressed Alfalfa. Or you can get some from local farms. I usually buy from farmers. Cow people, and horse people sell stuff that their animals won't eat.

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
TSC, sells Compressed Alfalfa. Or you can get some from local farms. I usually buy from farmers. Cow people, and horse people sell stuff that their animals won't eat.

If a cow won't eat it, I wouldn't feed it to my goats.

lkmartin1230

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I wouldnt feed moldy, or anything. If it looked good quality, and they either don't need it, or the cows won't eat because it has to many weeds, I would give it to my goats during the summer. During the winter I give Alfalfa, or Timothy grass hay.

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
If a cow won't eat it, I wouldn't feed it to my goats.
x2

I see ads for "goat hay" all the time... I just shake my head. Some people think you can feed some of the nastiest hay to goats :rant When you tell them you shouldn't their response is "They're just goats" :rant

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
I wouldnt feed moldy, or anything. If it looked good quality, and they either don't need it, or the cows won't eat because it has to many weeds, I would give it to my goats during the summer. During the winter I give Alfalfa, or Timothy grass hay.
I think cattle are more likely to eat weeds than goats.

We get some of our hay from someone who grows it for cattle, but its not full of weeds and it is stored properly. It sounds like you are dealing with one of the better hay farmers.

lkmartin1230

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Actually my cows will NOT eat weeds. Trust me. They hate it. They would it if it was the last thing on earth to eat.