Hello from Southern Ontario!

RickyTheKnife

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
My name is Richard, and I am an apprentice butcher. (Mind you I may not continue down that road) I plan on raising animals on a homestead soon, but I haven't yet decided whether I'll raise pigs or small breeds of beef cattle yet. I plan on doing both eventually, but gotta start somewhere, anyway, I'm from Southern Ontario near Port Dover, and my parents own a 50 acre farm which we rent the land to, but if I have my way that will change. Still, I hope to move to the Annapolis Valley in Nova Scotia before the next decade, I'm happy to be on the forum, and I will soak up all information anyone gives me, especially regarding my choices on raisling pork or beef. I can't wait to meet you!

Last edited:

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Hey Richard! Welcome to BYH :frow Learning that trade will give you a fall back any time you need it while living in/near farming country. There are always new folks who will have need of the services of a good butcher. Don't see why you can't do hogs and beef at the same time... That will cover 2 of the 3 main meat groups for most folks... discounting fish... Anyway, glad you joined us! Browse around the forums :caf and jump in when you feel the call.

NH homesteader

Herd Master
Reaction score
Welcome from New Hampshire! I vote pigs... OK I have pigs and am not a cow person so maybe just my biased opinion here! In my opinion pigs are easier and cheaper to get started with. On the other hand if you have 50 acres of grazeable pasture perhaps the opposite would be true.

Either way knowing how to butcher is a valuable skill to have. Welcome and I hope you enjoy chatting with all the lovely people on here.

RickyTheKnife

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Welcome from New Hampshire! I vote pigs... OK I have pigs and am not a cow person so maybe just my biased opinion here! In my opinion pigs are easier and cheaper to get started with. On the other hand if you have 50 acres of grazeable pasture perhaps the opposite would be true.

Either way knowing how to butcher is a valuable skill to have. Welcome and I hope you enjoy chatting with all the lovely people on here.
I wasn't much of a cow person either but then I learned about the small breeds and I may have changed my mind on them!

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Welcome from northeast Texas. You have invaluable experience already in providing good meat for your family and butchering services for friends. That is awesome! I've had cattle and I like them, but we are on 8 acres and that is just not big enough for cattle so we went with hair sheep. I have 3 lambs (sold) going to slaughter next week. Before making up your mind on what to raise, look around at your market. If every one is raising pigs and the price is low, you won't be happy when it comes time to sell. Also, are people in your area willing to pay more for non GMO meat? or grassfed meat? or speciality meats such as lamb or goat? Research. Look in classified ads, check out farmer's markets and look on Craigs list. See what is selling and how much it is going for.

In our country, it is illegal to butcher and sell your own meat. Must use a slaughter facility, but we have the choice of custom or USDA inspected. Custom is where you take your own animal and consume the meat yourself, it is not for resale. USDA is government inspected and the meat can be sold to the public. My customers pay me for the animal (hanging weight) so that it is "theirs" and pay for the slaughter fees and pick the meat up themselves. I use a custom slaughter house. We deliver the animal to the slaughter house as a service.

If you find the right customers that want good clean meat, you could wind up raising several animals for their consumption. You might even have your own slaughter facilities to further assure your customers of humane treatment of your animals. The possibilities are endless for you!

Latest posts