Help! Calf Down!

cjc

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Well I just posted an adorable picture of my brand new calf and now I am in a bit of an emergency. It looks like mama has not nursed him since birth...that was 4 days ago. We thought that he was nursing, he has constantly been trying. So we assumed he was ok, as he was jumping around the first two days. Yesterday that seemed to change he was sleeping basically every time I went to see him, but I assumed the timing was just bad.

Today he tried to stand and was very wobbly, couldn't get up. Mama's udders are massive. I am assuming mastitis and have a vet on the way to look at her. My main concern is with this 4 day old calf. I think he just went 4 days without food. And received no colostrum from mama.

I offered him a bottle after I found him wobbly and he took to it immediately. I then gave him another bottle right after of the powdered colostrum. He chugged the whole thing. I bet if I offered him another bottle he would suck it back but I thought it may be best to wait for the vet.

I gave him a shot of Vitamin A, D, E and Selenium at birth.

What can I do to help this calf? Do you think he is too far gone now?

@WildRoseBeef your words of wisdom please!!!

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have no help, only words of encouragement. The fact that he drank a bottle is a good sign, but not colostrum is frightening and no sure what you can do about that after 4 days, hopefully someone else will have some advice for you.

Is it possible that her udder is just engorged and not mastitis? Goats will sometimes get wax plugs that have to be removed by hand milking before the kids can get any milk out. Hope the vet can fix her up for you.

TAH

Herd Master
Reaction score
Here is a recipe that works very good.
1 egg
2 cup milk
big drizzle of molasses
1/2 cup warm water
You can also use corn syrup as a replacement for molasses.
A calf is normally dead first 8 hours without having any colostrum. If he lays down and wretches his head back make sure you keep him standing up. I would say if he has lasted this long he has a pretty good chance of making it. I hope he makes thru. Can you milk out the mom?

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Wow... so sorry! As above, probably too late for the colostrum now as that has to happen within the first 6-12 (24) hours :( I would hand milk mom and make certain those orifices are clear and open. Be careful to not overfeed the calf as that could also cause problems, on top of the ones it's already dealing with. If the calf is eating, that's 1/2 the battle won. Pulling for you and the calf on this one. Best of luck!

Reactions: TAH

TAH

Herd Master
Reaction score
He is the cutest thing ever. Make sure he stands up about every hour for about 15 minutes at a time. If he starts to get tired make him stand over a hay bale. One thing that really helps is spending time with them. Did you try molasses?

Latestarter

Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
He really looks thin. I hope you can get more milk into him (not TOO much, but what's right), I hope he continues to fight. Since you'll be milking momma anyway, you should try to use that to feed the calf as you can. I've heard quite a few complaints about using the replacers... Those being with healthy calves... Maybe just warmed regular whole milk from the grocery store would be better? You could add a bit of corn syrup or molasses to it for instant energy and to keep his attention...

Glad you got the vet out in time. Hope he makes it! Good luck and we'll be watching for updates... :pop:caf:fl

Reactions: TAH

cjc

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Well he is still alive so that's a good sign. He is very bright in the face but still is having trouble standing/walking. Although, every time we checked on him in the night he was in a different spot in the barn stall, so he is definitely able to get up.

He took another bottle today. I am going to go to the feed store and get him more powdered colostrum. Its $40 a pack! But I think I will feed him another 2-3 over the next few days.

So about Mama....cant even believe I am typing this and this happened. Our farm sits beside a very busy road, basically a highway. Since we separated her from her baby last night. We had to, we moved the baby in the barn to keep warm and she is just too crazy to have in there or even get in there she was in the pasture alone. She decided to jump the fence and then continue to run through two barbwire fences. She is cut up on her back end, all over her back legs and hind. She ended up on that busy road. The Police came and long story short. We finally got her back.

Today I was going to get her in the squeeze and milk her to try and save her but I think we have no choice but to slaughter her. Not my choice but the family has spoken and I think she is on her way out. I feel very sad for her and the calf. I wish this was different but we are worried that we will not be able to keep her in the fence anymore. She also jumped right out of the chute yesterday. The fence was high...we were shocked.

I have a dairy farmer coming over today to look at the calf. I feel devastated for this calf.

Latestarter

Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Wow... if it's not one thing it's another. Sorry you're dealing with all this.