HELP! Will these goats settle in?

TalksToDogs

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I finally got my first two goats, I got one 9 week old female first. Obviously she was a little distressed to be alone, and she loved people, so she bonded really strongly to me. She was dam raised and always in a herd before I got her. The next day I picked up my OTHER goat, and only had her an hour and a half for the ride home and penned them near each other. This goat was also dam raised and had always been in a herd.

I figured I could leave them on their own out there, and the little one might get a bit anxious, but she'd be OK in a little bit with the other goat around, especially since they were both so quiet while I was wandering around feeding the other animals.

However, the SECOND I left them, they BOTH started flipping out. They have been pacing and baaahing and basically did a complete 180 from being calm and serene. They don't appear to be taking comfort in each other's presence at all, (if not feeding off of each other's separation anxiety, possibly) and they won't even just stop and graze, like most ruminants that eat all day would.... and their yard is FULL of brush. (Part of the reason I got them.)

So, the question is.... WHEN IS THIS GOING TO STOP?! I've been inside for a good hour, going on two, and it's only slightly let up, only to start again, especially if they see or hear any people around. We live in, and are zoned rural, so there are barking dogs and crowing roosters... but I can see where my neighbors might get a little sick of insane bleating all day if this keeps up. At least the roosters and dogs STOP. LOL.

I read so many books, websites and magazines about goat stuff.... NONE OF THEM... NONE covered any separation anxiety issues like this, other than weaning young ones.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Welcome to BYH! :frow

I agree with One Fine.
I also would be careful to not go in and out over and over but instead peak in on them without you noticing. This will cause them to bond together.
This could be short lived or take several days. They are babies that just got taken from their herd it is pretty traumatic. It is stressful and scary for them.

Were then "instantly" weaned when you picked them up? If so expect the crying for a good bit!

There is something very important you must do!
FECALS! Kids (all goats really) get what is called a stress bloom. The bloom is parasites and or cocci. A cocci bloom or a parasite bloom can cause a very sick goat and may die. These are intestinal ... so you won't see it.

In a few days 4-7... in your case I would do 4 days take a fecal to your vet and have them run fecals on both goats.
You collect their poop berries, put it in a baggie and take it to the vet. ASK them to check for parasite eggs and cocci eggs.

Waiting to see something in the poop or diarrhea will mean your goat is already VERY sick.

Many of kids have died this year from these issues- if you peruse the threads you will see the tragic loss for so many.

Also you want to get a thermometer (digital) with covers and vaseline immediately. Shipping fever can also happen. Many goats don't end up with this but if it happens you must catch it fast. Listen for any respiratory changes. Take temperature rectally.
On baby goats if the temp goes over 103 be concerned and call your vet. They will need to be treated immediately.

chiques chicks

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
The above two posts pretty much cover it. They are both very knowledgeable, experienced people.

In a month you will wonder how you lived so long without goats.

And welcome!

TalksToDogs

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I put them together, because they were driving me nuts, hoping that would help. They are somewhat bonding.. the little one is following the older one, but the older one is still butting her around when she gets too close or eats too close. They are stressed but both are eating and drinking and going to the bathroom regularly, and their poos are normal.

The little one was weaned a few weeks or so before I got her.

I have tried to not go out there at all, but the little guy keeps getting out and I've had to go outside and patch some of her escape routes... (and I can tell when she escapes because the other goat goes even more nuts, which is a good sign I guess )when I am out there...SILENCE.

They are going to be in the barn together tonight, in separate dog crates that are right next to each other, as I don't want them trying to escape all night, or have the big one get to aggressive with her butting. Hopefully that will help!

I will do the fecals... it would coincide nicely with

TalksToDogs

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
THANKS.

I've wanted my own goats forever, this wouldn't even be an issue for me, but the neighbors are somewhat close to our house, and I don't want to drive them nuts, and have to sell them just as I got them. A bit of noise is fine... but hours on end? Sheesh... ;)

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Overhandling will cause more stress right now and unless the one doe is trying to kill the other I do not advise locking them separately in a crate. Livestock is different and this is prolonging them adjusting.

Of course if you do not have a secure area and they can escape then the crate it is!:D

We picked up an 8 month old nigerian buck a few years ago, he was not handled at all... we had him in a 6 ft quarantine pen... he was so freaked out we did leave a covered crate in with him and did have to lock him in overnight. It was nuts!

As far as noise , maybe you could let the neighbors know... they are babies it should be expected... it is more of a courtesy so they also know everything is alright.

What breed are they?

TalksToDogs

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
They are both Nigerian Dwarf, one (the older one) is actually papered, however the previous owner said she didn't think she could breed because her hips were too narrow, and I bought her as a companion. The other had papered parents, but I could really care less about paperwork in the end. I didn't get them to show. (Even if I had the time to do so!)

I ended up settling them in the crate (it's a HUGE crate, suitable for a really big dog) together. The little one bleated a bit, but was otherwise quickly silent, the older one was quiet and focused on eating hay.

The older one (1.5yrs) is dark brown, and the photo is from her sale ad.
The other is the baby.
13717228_1316425671704267_7014984416620370188_o.jpg
DSCN0346.JPG

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Very nice. Thanks for sharing the pics! You're gonna love them in no time at all!

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Pretty!
We have dwarfs also. I will warn you... they go into heat every 3 weeks they are also year round breeders. Let's hope they are not heat screamers!
I have several Nigies that scream the whole 3 days they are in heat. :confused: Others quiet.
Now... on one hand that screaming especially in fall can be so bad you just want to breed the doe so they will shut up! :lol: That is how and why my goat Katie got bred last year! I didn't plan on breeding her. :\ She had quads.

On the other hand I have some Nigies that are so NOT obvious and they were really hard to catch in heat... they WERE the ones we wanted to breed.

Not having a buck around may help minimize the screaming potential.