Help with baby goat not feeling well.

Fullhousefarm

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Nigerian Dwarf. 2 weeks old. Pulled from mom Sunday and has been thriving as bottle baby on goat milk.

Bottle at 7am. Seemed a bit snotty. Had some diarreah this afternoon, but was given milk with colostrum this an and it's yellowy- so likely the cause.

Temp 101.8

Hasn't wanted to eat since 7am.

Not miserable, but not as perky as normal.

WWYD?

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
I am a serious worry wart when it comes to kids.

How snotty is the nose? No fever so not an infection, yet. But could still be not wanting to eat if having a hard time breathing. Did they take the entire bottle eagerly at 7 AM? I would continue to monitor the temp. Sometimes pneumonia can spike a temp and then it drops and you never saw the spike.

Was the dam vaccinated prior to freshening? I would find the C&D antitoxin if you can...just in case.

Fullhousefarm

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Dam was vaccinated and baby received CD&T at disbudding a week ago. Disbudding rings healing perfectly. His brothers are fine.

He's two hours away and the owner (bought him from us) is goat experienced but has never had a sick baby.

I've never had a sick baby (other than scours) either.

madcow

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I was wondering why the colostrum this late in the game? Was that all you had to feed at the time? I wonder if it was too rich at this point for his little tummy. I would just keep an eye on the snotty nose and continue to take temps as suggested by babsbag above. Use of a bulb syringe might help the nose to clear it if the snot is blocking breathing at all.

Fullhousefarm

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I was wondering why the colostrum this late in the game? Was that all you had to feed at the time? I wonder if it was too rich at this point for his little tummy. I would just keep an eye on the snotty nose and continue to take temps as suggested by babsbag above. Use of a bulb syringe might help the nose to clear it if the snot is blocking breathing at all.
This is a goat we sold Sunday from our triplets. Buyer has goats in milk, and had tons of milk from a just freshened doe.

She got him to eat and is going to watch his temp and give him something for an upset tummy them reevaluate in the morning.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
@madcow may be on to something with colostrum at this point. Maybe it just bothered his tummy.

A lot of my bottle babies sound "snuffy" after their bottle. Hope that that is all it is. Good that he is vaccinated, takes care of worrying about entero.

Pearce Pastures

Barn Babe
Reaction score
1) Do not force food until the scouring has stopped. Give pedialyte later today if he hasn't eaten but not milk.

2) The runny nose, lack of appetite, and scouring are worrisome, and I would retake a temp later to see if is dropping. If his temp gets lower, think possible pneumonia. Feel his mouth and tongue. Are they nice and warm?

3) He is too young for parasites so do not treat for them. Most take at least 3 weeks to get going. That said, when he hits 21 days old, do a 5 day course of 40% DiMethox to prevent coccidiosis.

4) Pick him up and wiggle him to see if his tummy sounds sloshy. If it does, make a syringe up with baking soda and pedialyte and get some in him.

5) He may just have an upset stomach from diet change or too much food. Keep whatever he is eating consistent---if it is cow milk, keep it cow milk. Reduce how much he is eating even if his appetite comes back today.

Fullhousefarm

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
She gave him some probios and Pepto last night. He drank a little bottle too.

He's crated in the goat barn at night since he is smaller than the other goats. She said he bounced out much happier this morning. Still some snot. Scours better. He nursed off her doe on the milk stand while she held the doe (not the just fresh doe with colostrum) scours improved.

She's checking his temp and watching to see if snottyness resolves. Mine (a few adults and kids)have a teeny bit of snot from the huge temp swings we are having. It was 30' the night after they were born and it's 87' today.

Fullhousefarm

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Baby is all better. Ate a little less than normal for another day or two and is now chugging bottles down like a pro.

Thanks!

I always love it when buyers ask for help and take good care of their animals. Restores faith in humanity and makes selling the cute little goats a little easier. But, he was my favorite of the three and I still miss him.