!!help!!

goat-heaven

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Oka my buck is sick I went out in the moring to feed my goats in I got to his stall he usually runs to the gate in jumps on me for his food but today he was laying not wanting to get up so I made him get up in he eat a Lil in went back in lay down in he strech his legs out in screamed like he was in pain I gave him a pen shot in some baking soda in water after two hours he is up walking but still looks in like he is in pain

SA Farm

Herd Master
Reaction score
It sounds like it could be bloat...How's his left side look? Does it look or feel really tight? If so, massage it and give him a little pan of free choice baking soda.
If that's not it, any more info you can provide would be great - feed and water, housing, temp, any of that information.

goat-heaven

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
His poop is like rabbit pellets he is peeing normal after I force some baking soda down him he is up walking around but he still looks like he is still in some pain in discomfort he standing up just standing there burpting in farting

goat-heaven

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
His poop is like rabbit pellets he is peeing normal after I force some baking soda down him he is up walking around but he still looks like he is still in some pain in discomfort he standing up just standing there burpting in farting his left side is very tight in cryies when I touch it

goat-heaven

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
His poop is like rabbit pellets he is peeing normal after I force some baking soda down him he is up walking around but he still looks like he is still in some pain in discomfort he standing up just standing there burpting in farting his left side is very tight in cryies when I touch it

SA Farm

Herd Master
Reaction score
His poop is like rabbit pellets he is peeing normal after I force some baking soda down him he is up walking around but he still looks like he is still in some pain in discomfort he standing up just standing there burpting in farting
That's a good sign. Is he grinding his teeth?

SA Farm

Herd Master
Reaction score
Any sudden food changes? Could he have gotten into any grain or anything?

goat-heaven

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
No change to his feed they get all stock sweet feed a half cup of that in some corn

SA Farm

Herd Master
Reaction score
Well, it definitely sounds like bloat to me. I've only dealt with a minor case once and he did just fine with just some baking soda and a massage/walk.
Here's a link to an article on it and below is the copy and pasted treatment from the page.
http://www.goatworld.com/articles/bloat/bloat.shtml
Methods of Treatment for Bloat
For goats that are still able to walk, you will need to drench a quarter of a pint of mineral oil or cooking oil down the goat's throat and then exercise the goat (through walking) and massaging of the sides. This most often will cause the built up gas to escape through the mouth or rectum. Once you have gotten the goat relieved of the gas, one treatment prescribes giving a small amount of sodium bicarbonate (approximately one tablespoon) mixed in a small amount of warm water or molasses. Another treatment encourages giving the goat a tablespoon of lime (dolomite) and seaweed meal mixed in a half pint of cider vinegar which will help to replace the missing magnesium and potassium.

For a goat that is down and in distress, it is highly recommended that you contact a veterinarian immediately because the pressure caused by the bloat in the abdomen can often stop the lungs and heart from working.