High Fever in Week Old Buckling

rescueblonde

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I brought home a Nubian buckling last week. He was just under a week old.
The day after I got him, he had loose stool and one of the vets at our clinic recommended something that I picked up from the local animal health supply store. I don't remember what it was called but it was a black paste. The next day he had full blown diarrhea with the consistency of water. The vet asked for a stool sample but in a 6 hour period he hadn't pooped but with the consistency it would've been next to impossible to gather a sample of. We were given two 1mL injections of Nuflor and instructed to give him one that day and then the other 3 days later if the diarrhea persisted. His scours were gone after the first injection so I didn't give him the second.

His resting temperature is around 102. Last night he was 102.3. Today, he didn't drink his bottle as excitedly as he normally does and a few of his bleats sounded pretty weak. (edit: silly me, left out the most important info.) His temp today is 104.7. He's been laying around more than usual but he has played around and nibbled on grass. His attitude is about the same aside from being a bit lethargic. I called the vet and was instructed to give him the second Nuflor injection then take his temp again in a few hours and call back if it's still high. She said it could be the start of an upper respiratory infection.

Has anyone else had experience with this? He drank some water with electrolytes and has perked up some. Is there anything else I can do?

oAdQ3XO.jpg

This is Owen.

Last edited:

rescueblonde

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Shoot. Forgot to include his temp today was 104.7. I know 102 is good!

rescueblonde

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
He was panting for a while which is what really raised a flag for me because it's only in the mid 50's here with a cool breeze.

cjc

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Is he getting up on his feet on his own, walking around? Keep him hydrated as you are. Keep him on those electrolytes.

He is fighting an infection of some sort.

How is his navel? Is it hard at all? If its infected it will feel hard and may be able to feel something that feels like a bullet under the surface.

If you hold your hands on his joints are they hot at all? Are they gushy?

Never stop an injectable like Nuflor like that. Always treat for the full treatment even if the symptoms go away. I would keep him on it for no less than 5 injections but do the injections every 2nd day into the muscle.

Keep him in the barn and keep him warm and dry.

At a temp of 104.7 you need to intervene now. That one extra shot of Nuflor may make him look and act better but he probably isn't. I would start the 5 injections today. Regardless of whatever you gave him before I would give him a full round again. I would also add in another long lasting antibiotic daily. If you can do this I would also get the vet to give him an intravenous of antibiotics immediately.

Sorry and to add to what your vet said...I don't deal with goats but I assume they are somewhat the same. Have you given him a pneumonia nasal spray or anything for a respiratory infection? If not do that right away. With cattle we give inforce 3 a few days after birth. There are also antibiotics that cover illness im not sure if Nuflor does.

rescueblonde

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Is he getting up on his feet on his own, walking around? Keep him hydrated as you are. Keep him on those electrolytes.

Yes, he's usually very playful and active but today has been a bit slower. He's still pretty active just not as active as usual. He's been hopping around and playing. Like I said, just not his usual caliber of playful.

How is his navel? Is it hard at all? If its infected it will feel hard and may be able to feel something that feels like a bullet under the surface.

If you hold your hands on his joints are they hot at all? Are they gushy?

Keep him in the barn and keep him warm and dry.

I just ran into town to get more electrolytes but I will check his navel when I get home. His joints felt fine.

Never stop an injectable like Nuflor like that. Always treat for the full treatment even if the symptoms go away. I would keep him on it for no less than 5 injections but do the injections every 2nd day into the muscle.

I didn't give the second shot of Nuflor because his diarrhea had stopped. The vet gave me two shots and instructed to give the first and only give the second if the diarrhea hadn't stopped in 3 days. I'm going to check his temperature again when I get home and continue with the electrolytes. If it hasn't gone down, I'm going to have the vet come out. I'm not comfortable loading him up on a bunch of things without the vet's direction.

cjc

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Yes I wouldn't be comfortable doing that either. These things could or could not be related. As in the scours could have been from something different or could be what's now lead to this.

The only time I have been told from a vet to only do a few injections of Nuflor was when I had an animal that was hard to handle. This little guy probably needs a full round of drugs to get him healthy again. A fever of 103 I would try to treat on my own. As soon as its over 104.5 and approaching 105 I get veterinary care. These little animals can turn fast, I find I have better luck when I help them the day I see the fever rather than waiting a day or two to see if they turn around.

Reactions: TAH