Homemade hay feeder

SuperChemicalGirl

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
We had a wire hay feeder that was causing (or allowing) the goats to waste an incredible amount of hay. Every week I'd pull up at least one big wheelbarrow full of wasted hay from the ground.

Boyfriend made this after hearing me complain about it multiple times. It has holes around it and underneath, but for some reason they're not wasting as much hay.

I open the top of it daily and stir it around, but the half a bale of hay I put in there a week ago is just now needing replacement!!!

I still think they're getting plenty of hay. I did throw a couple flakes in this week (when it was really cold) onto the ground for bedding, and I know they ate half of that, so it's hard to tell actual usage from the feeder, but I know the waste has been cut significantly.

7805_hayfeeder.jpg

alsea1

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I like that. And you can wash it really good if need be.
I could even build that.
Hmmm

Fluffygal

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
That is clever use of a storage container. :thumbsup

Isthelifeforme

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
What a fantastic idea! I've been needing another hay feeder. I had an idea last year that I built but it hasn't gone as well as I hoped. First they kept knocking it over so I chained it to the ceiling but they still waste a lot of it.

Your idea solves all of those problems!!

Stacykins

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
What diameter did you make the holes?

BTW, OP likely used a hole saw , which is attached to a drill.

SuperChemicalGirl

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
5 inch hole saw. If you have a Dremel and a coffee container and a sharpie though you'd probably be just fine. BF likes his toys.

ThreeBoysChicks

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
SuperChemicalGirl said:
5 inch hole saw. If you have a Dremel and a coffee container and a sharpie though you'd probably be just fine. BF likes his toys.
I like toys..... :D

SuperChemicalGirl

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
If anyone wants pictures of the inside, I can take some tomorrow. Let me know. It's held up with a 2x4 to the wall through the backing.