Homemade Hay Feeders?

SarahFair

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Can I see yalls home made hay holders?

20kidsonhill

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
If you are just feeding a couple goats, a box frame that is wide enough to slip a slab of hay in works well, with either 4x4 or 2x4 welded metal fencing in the front and framed out with wood. or slats running through it(up and down) every 2 inches in the front of it, works well.

Melissa'sDreamFarm

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Love mine, except now that I have babies, they can get in side it and sleep if it's not full. It has a tarp tent over it rain and/or shade.

2467_goat_006.jpg

One of my many goat shacks is on the other side. They have access holes in there too. I wanted to put it so that my buck pen could utilize one side and the does the other. I worried that a determined buck could or would crawl through the holes. It could happen, lol.

boykin2010

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
When mine are In lambing stalls I Nail a kitchen trash can to the wall and cut a hole on the front. They don't waste very much and it holds enough hay for a day or two in the stall. My other hay feeder for daily use looks a lot like the one pictured before.

SarahFair

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Thanks guys! I have some good ideas

20kidsonhill

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
boykin2010 said:
When mine are In lambing stalls I Nail a kitchen trash can to the wall and cut a hole on the front. They don't waste very much and it holds enough hay for a day or two in the stall. My other hay feeder for daily use looks a lot like the one pictured before.
that is a good idea.

Queen Mum

N.E.R.D.
Reaction score
Here is mine. A couple 2 x 4's and some cattle panel. I got the idea from another person on this forum who posted a water barrel feeder. I didn't have a barrel so I just used the 2 x 4's and a piece of 2x6 on the bottom. The long base is to keep the boys (it's in the buck pen) from tipping it over.

1156_hay_feeder_3.jpg

The second one is Autumnprairie's design using a couple pieces she had. We have two, a short one for the mini goats and a taller one for the bigger goats. I need to make a top for them.

1156_hay_feeder_2.jpg