Horn growing odd- does it need trimmed?

L J

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
So my lil hybrid sheep has one horn and it curls. Well now it appears to be curling inward, and about to touch his head.

will it just keep growing and poke into him? Should we get it cut or trimmed? Or, do you think it will just keep curling and not be an issue?
Sammyhorn.jpg

SheepGirl

Master of Sheep
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
How old is he? Is it his only horn? Could be a scur (does it wiggle easily?) and will break off by itself, or could be an actual horn and grow into his skull. If it is a horn, it will require trimming.

L J

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
How old is he? Is it his only horn? Could be a scur (does it wiggle easily?) and will break off by itself, or could be an actual horn and grow into his skull. If it is a horn, it will require trimming.
he is 1 1/2 years old. Yes its his only horn. The other side is just a small nub, has never grown past that. The curled horn is pretty sturdy. I thought it might break off a couple months ago, as it was bleeding from the base and cracked a bit. If you look close at the pic, you can see a little notch so to speak. But it didn't break all the way and then kept growing.

Would it be like trimming a horse hoof? I can use one of those type of files. Or should I just have my Vet do it? He is small enough for me to handle, but an ornery lil ****.

purplequeenvt

Herd Master
Reaction score
I would be worried about it growing into his head more, but it's curled in such a way that I'm not sure about just "hacking away" at it.

It all depends on where the blood vessels are. You could try one of those wire saws (can't think of the name at the moment). That's what the vets will often use and, if done properly, should help minimize potential bleeding.

Reactions: L J

Sheepshape

Herd Master
Reaction score
It doesn't look like it is growing into the head. If it isn't leave it well alone. If it does start to erode the skin or is clearly pushing on the skull, then it will need to be cut back. I use what I call a 'cheese wire' (and a lot of elbow grease) as mentioned by purplequeenvt.....a metal rasp wire with two detachable metal ends and using a back and forth movement across the horn until it eventually gives way. This is a little horn and may well have blood vessels near to the tip.....I seal them with the hot docking knife or some waxy stuff from the vet. If you can get a strong but small light behind the horn it is possible to see where the blood vessels stop, but is does rely on getting the ram's head very still. If you can't (or don't fancy!) doing all these things, a vet will do it for you.

However....if the horn is not going to go into the skull, then let it be. It's quite a small thing, and, being a ram, he is quite like to dislodge it himself by head butting something.

Reactions: L J

L J

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
It doesn't look like it is growing into the head. If it isn't leave it well alone. If it does start to erode the skin or is clearly pushing on the skull, then it will need to be cut back. I use what I call a 'cheese wire' (and a lot of elbow grease) as mentioned by purplequeenvt.....a metal rasp wire with two detachable metal ends and using a back and forth movement across the horn until it eventually gives way. This is a little horn and may well have blood vessels near to the tip.....I seal them with the hot docking knife or some waxy stuff from the vet. If you can get a strong but small light behind the horn it is possible to see where the blood vessels stop, but is does rely on getting the ram's head very still. If you can't (or don't fancy!) doing all these things, a vet will do it for you.

However....if the horn is not going to go into the skull, then let it be. It's quite a small thing, and, being a ram, he is quite like to dislodge it himself by head butting something.

it will definitely bleed- he broke it off around this time last year but it was much smaller. And as I mentioned above, I thought it was going to break off the first week of June. I came home to see him with blood dripping all down his face. (see pic) It cracked at the base, but stayed on and kept growing.

unnamed.jpg

I'll keep a close eye on it, crossing my fingers nature cures itself :)

Reactions: TAH