Horse Help needed ASAP!!

HorseMama81

Just born
Reaction score
hi, I had a mare go down on me this morning, she was a rescue, close to 30 and the vet and I both agreed that it was most likely a combo of her age and spending her life starved(I've only had her for 2 months). This was at 6 am today, we worked on her too noon when we made the call and my bet put her down. At about 3 I went out to check on the only other horse that's stalled, a 15 year old gelding., he was down.. Now I have 5 other horses that are on 24/7 turnout and they eat the same hay and grain as these 2 and they are fine.. The geldings gut sounds fine, he's pooping normal, has a great appetite.. But every time he tries to get up he acts like his back legs won't support him or he can't get them up under him to lift himself.. I've been making him stay semi upright and he's doing it but when he tries to get up(he tries on his own as well as me trying ) his temp is normal, everything else seems fine.., any advice is welcome.. I fed him some mineral oil to try n help him flush his system.. My vet is hours away right now, he is aware of what's happening but he is the only vet with any horse experience around n won't be able to get here till tomorrow afternoon at the earliest

norseofcourse

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'm sorry about the mare :hugs even when they're old and you know it's time, it's still hard.

With your gelding, is there any chance he'd gotten cast in his stall and injured himself trying to get free? Any sore areas along his spine? (be very careful if you check for this, if he's in pain he may move unexpectedly). It's good that you're able to keep him at least partially upright and his vitals seem to be good - best thoughts for him, hope the vet can help him tomorrow.

HorseMama81

Just born
Reaction score
No not cast, he actually just looked like he was chilling when I found him.. I had just moved stalls bc I didn't want him near the mare when we put her down.. I'm leaning towards EPM.. It's only thing I can think of that would affect 2 that close together time wise.. He's staying semi upright eating so I think his organs and muscles will be okay but just can't get his rear end up

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
It always hurts to lose one. Hope your other horse turns out ok.

HorseMama81

Just born
Reaction score
Thank you.. If I would have thought for one second that it was something else going on with the mare this morning I would have fought harder for her,.. We knew she was in bad shape, the vet had been working with me on her from Day 1.. We both thought that she really was just giving up, that the lifetime of starvation and neglect had caught up and she was happy to go with a full belly.. Now I feel I've failed her and it will devastate my daughter if we loose him.. She worked every day with him to get h healthy.. She sits on him in turnout with no tack, not even a halter and reads on his back or just lays on him while he grazes.. If we loose him right before Christmas,

GLENMAR

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Try to get some bales of hay around him to keep him up the best you can. That's a long time for one to be down. :fl