housing meat rabbits

Citylife

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
My project is up and rolling and I am so happy! My 3 sided shed is completed and my new trio is happy and doing well. I am extremely happy with the high quality Florida Whites I purchased. They are just want I wanted.
1521_fwproject.jpeg

1521_fws5daysin.jpeg

1521_sofier13.jpeg

MyJunior Female, she feels like a block of meat with ears. Amazing!

My chickens have free run under the rabbits (when loose) and have the chance to free range a good hour a day and up to 4. We try to fulfill all the animals needs. And needless to say, the chickens are great fun. I love their personalities.

the lady with 4 dogs, 4 city chickens, 4 meat rabbits and a lizard.

blk90s13

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Where do you all buy those hanging cages from ?

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
Beautiful set-up!!! Very nice looking rabbits as well. Can you get electric to your shed?

a7736100

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
If you're going to process them in 8 to 12 weeks they don' have to be seperated.

The more rabbits per pen the smaller area per rabbit. I've had 4 or 5 kits in a 3'x3' cage with no trouble. Don't know if they would grow faster or larger in a larger cage.

Citylife

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I got the hanging wire cages from Tractor Supply. They are the 30"x30" cages. Very easy to set up and 30 bucks each. The three rabbits showing in the picture are my new breeder rabbits and then I have a seperate grow out pen for the babies when they are weened. I may add cages to the bottom, I have not decided yet.
I am so excited about this project! Sustainable living is becoming more and more fascinating. I am glad I used to hunt, and have no problem with taking care of the deed and the butchering process. I am looking forward to my first rabbit meal and salad out of my own yard.
I will keep you posted.

the lady with 4 dogs, 4 city chickens, 4 meat rabbits with more to come and a lizard

anthonyjames

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
My meat rabbits started in my chicken run suspended above them but when they had babies the blood came through in spot and my chickens went crazy jumping and trying to get at the rabbits and stressing them and they were not quite high enough so they got some sore feet. But currently they are in my back garage double stacked and double wide. I have 8 rabbits. 1 buck and 7 does. The 2 groups of 4 are separated by my breeding quail that are stacked 4 high.

They cages basically are 60 x 30 x 16.
I will try to post later. But I see an open air shed that would be nice and I could run a pit about 16 inches deep and put my worms in there with the hopes they make it through the winter.

My weaned rabbits head out to these. They are 3 x 4 x 2 and most I have had in one is 12 so far and no issues at all.

gallery.me.com/anthonyjames420 You will see my rabbits in all stages from in the chicken run, to babies to in their pens.

montverdechick

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
We just got our first rabbits on Friday. New Zealand whites, 2 does and a buck. They mated on the way home, so we expect to have babies on Halloween! My husband built the hutch out of mostly re-purposed wood and metal. We will be building a collection trough underneath it to collect the waste and plan on growing worms in it for fishing and chicken treats. wish we had more room for sheep and goats, but this is just a small urban farm. Lots of fun to come!!

009.jpg

014.jpg

015.jpg

CityLife - Love your set up

Cari - Your site won't open to see the pics. :-(

anthonyjames

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
montverdechick

Did you guys just use hardware cloth for the sides and bottoms?

Looks like a nice hutch.

Cargo

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
montverdechick, I am with you. We have chickens and rabbits. But, just not enough room to have a milk goat.