1. Official BYH Caption Contest #3 - October 2014 - Pic by HoneyDreamMomma
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

2. BYH Featured Thread: First timer with Lionheads!
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

3. BYH Picture Contest - Fall 2014
    CLICK HERE!

4. BYH New Section: Bees & Beekeeping
    CLICK HERE!

5. Official Poll: What breed of Livestock Guardian Dog do you prefer?
    CLICK HERE!

6. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!

How do I know when my sheep is in heat?

Discussion in 'Breeds & Breeding - Sheep' started by shy sheep, Jan 12, 2013.

1. Jan 12, 2013
    shy sheep

shy sheep Exploring the pasture

My girls have started 'riding' each other. I'm not sure if this is a sign that they're in heat or not, but I'd like to know since I was thinking about breeding them. Thanks for your advice!
  2. Jan 12, 2013
    BrownSheep

BrownSheep Loving the herd life Golden Herd Member

Sheep are difficult to catch in heat but in instances it can be a sign. In my experience it's best to put the ram out with thm for a couple of weeks. A lot of goat breeders are capable to take the goats to breeders for an hour or two but sheep don't really work that way due to their pretty silent heat cycles.
  3. Jan 13, 2013
    Sheepshape

Sheepshape Loving the herd life

It is easiest if there is a ram in there. The ewe in heat will hang around him, pee for him, point her rear at him etc.....next day she won't want to know him!