1. Official BYH Caption Contest #3 - October 2014 - Pic by HoneyDreamMomma
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

2. BYH Featured Thread: Thinking about microdairy
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

3. BYH Picture Contest - Fall 2014
    CLICK HERE!

4. BYH New Section: Bees & Beekeeping
    CLICK HERE!

5. Official Poll: What breed of Livestock Guardian Dog do you prefer?
    CLICK HERE!

6. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!

How do pigs handle the cold?

Discussion in 'Everything Else Pigs' started by daniel-delarosa, Oct 7, 2012.

1. Oct 7, 2012
    daniel-delarosa

daniel-delarosa Chillin' with the herd

How low of temperatures can pigs handle? What kind of housing would be sufficient enough? I have a three foot tall lean to with the sides and back enclosed. I have a bunch of straw in it, should part of the front be enclosed too and also, should I put my two pigs together for body heat? They are lined up for butcher at the end of november, so hopefully the extreme cold wont be here by then. (Central Oklahoma)
  2. Oct 9, 2012
    drdoolittle

drdoolittle Overrun with beasties

If they're going to the butcher in November, you probably don't have anything to worry about. My pigs survive the winter just fine as long as I stuff their houses with straw and surround the outside of the houses with bales of straw. They are penned together to provide extra warmth and companionship.
  3. Oct 15, 2012
    Cornish Heritage

Cornish Heritage Overrun with beasties

LOL! No offense but Oklahoma doesn't even know what extreme cold is! We raised pigs when we lived in MT where the temps got to -40 & folks are raising them in Alaska. Pigs adapt well to the cold and/or the heat. When it is cold they just need plenty of bedding & a friend to keep warm with. Also fact their shelter out of the main prevailing wind. If it is extremely cold they will need more calories so as not to lose condition.

Liz