1. Official BYH Caption Contest #3 - October 2014 - Pic by HoneyDreamMomma
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

2. BYH Featured Thread: Thinking about microdairy
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

3. BYH Picture Contest - Fall 2014
    CLICK HERE!

4. BYH New Section: Bees & Beekeeping
    CLICK HERE!

5. Official Poll: What breed of Livestock Guardian Dog do you prefer?
    CLICK HERE!

6. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!

How do you transport your goats?

Discussion in 'Everything Else Goats' started by Ariel301, Aug 26, 2010.

1. Aug 26, 2010
    Ariel301

Ariel301 Loving the herd life

I'm going to sell my horse trailer because I don't have horses anymore, so it is pretty useless except as a storage container and goat quarantining area. It's just really too much of a hassle to hook it up to pull goats in. So, I need to come up with an alternative way to move my goats--we go to shows, or on hiking trips, or sometimes I have to leave a couple with a sitter if I have to go out of town, or I need to haul bucks for stud service. If it's kids or one or two does, they can go in the back of our little car, but then it's a hassle to clean the car out and get rid of the goaty smell...and there's no way I'm sticking a stinky buck or a horned goat in the backseat of our car! We will be driving on anything from the freeway to one-lane mountain dirt roads, so it needs to be safe at speed, and also sturdy for going down rough roads.

So, those of you who haul your goats around and don't have horse trailers, how do you do it? I can have the horse trailer sold within a couple of weeks, but I need to figure out what to do after that, especially with the county fair coming up next month.
  2. Aug 26, 2010
    ohiofarmgirl

ohiofarmgirl Overrun with beasties

we have a truck with a cap on it. throw in some straw, add goats, lock the cap and voila.... we're truckin' right along with them goaties!

:)
  3. Aug 26, 2010
    ksalvagno

ksalvagno Alpaca Master

I do have a trailer but I also put goats in the back of my truck. I have a cap on the truck. However, alpaca people use vans all the time. Just get a cargo van and revamp it for goats. You could also just hose the whole thing down if you get a basic cargo van. Mini vans work too.
  4. Aug 27, 2010
    Shiloh Acres

Shiloh Acres Ridin' The Range

I have a little homemade multipurpose 4x8 trailer with wood sides and floor. But I'm really liking the truck with cap idea. Sounds great!
  5. Aug 27, 2010
    SDGsoap&dairy

SDGsoap&dairy Loving the herd life

Us too. It works great!
  6. Aug 27, 2010
    aggieterpkatie

aggieterpkatie The Shepherd

We've done several things. Usually we put them in our truck w/ the cap on it. The truck is leaking transmission oil at the moment, so recently I've had to use our other vehicles. I had to take my goat a couple miles down the road, so we borrowed my FIL's truck and I sat in the bed with her and held on to her lead/collar. We got a few funny looks. :lol: The other day I had to take one ewe to the breeder's so I put her in the back of my Explorer. I also used to transport my sheep in my Jeep (GC, not Wrangler) before I married hubby (because it was the only vehicle I had). I just lay down a tarp and tape it up on the sides of the vehicle so the entire back of the vehicle is covered. Sometimes I'll put an old blanket down on top of that then cover with straw, and sometimes I just put straw down on top of the tarp. If you are careful enough to secure the tarp, your vehicle will be safe from urine/pellets.
  7. Aug 27, 2010
    dbunni

dbunni Ridin' The Range

We have a Honda Element (and a big van). In the element we use a very large wire dog crate (one for the bernese mtn dog). Straw in crate and an old blanket underneith to soak up any accidents. In the van we tie them to the wall or block off a section. I have a friend who has a raised unit that she just slides into the van for the goats.
  8. Aug 27, 2010
    jodief100

jodief100 True BYH Addict Golden Herd Member

If it is just one big or two small goats, I have a large plastic dog crate, the kind they use on planes. This just barley fits in the back of my Matrix. Literally, it scrapes against the top of the weather stripping on the back door to get it in. The plastic sides keep the mess contained.

If I have several goats to transport I have a truck cap on my Ranger. I bought it on Craigslist for like $30. I installed soffit vents on the sides for ventilation, 2 circle vents. I bought them at Lowes. I have been putting a carpet remnant in the back with a bunch of straw on top but I think I am going to start using a section of field fence for traction. Someone here suggested it. If it is really hot, I freeze two buckets of water and put them in the back with them.
  9. Aug 27, 2010
    Roll farms

Roll farms Spot Master

Now we use a truck with a topper....very easy.
    We've tried other things in the past, and they 'work' but each has pros / cons.

Years ago, a fellow farmer buddy gave us a 'calf box'...a sturdy, home made wooden crate made big enough to haul a calf or 2 in all weather.

My husband, the king of "bigger / stronger is better" revamped it to haul horned sheep and pigs in. It worked great, but was no longer easy to put in the truck w/ just two people....that became a hassle. We finally threw it on the burn pile last year....

I bought a huge, and I mean HUGE fiberglass dog crate (solid sides w/ vented windows) at an auction for 10$ several years ago, w/ a very sturdy mesh door. But...it too is pretty heavy to load in and out of a pick up / jeep / van, etc. Also not 'warm' enough for cold weather hauling in a pick up...but will work on warm days. Can fit yearling does in it, but not bucks.

When I have to haul a doe in my jeep (wrangler), I stick an adult diaper on them, tape it to their fur w/ duct tape so it won't slide down, and off we go.
    I got some mighty, MIGHTY funny looks bringing Penny home a few years ago, the 'gathers' in the diaper (so it will stretch) look a lot like ruffles.
    That won't work well for a long haul, but for a short trip it'll catch all the berries and if you can get the goat to lie down, they rarely pee while lying down.

Kids I transport in a large rubbermaid tote w/ a blanket / towel in the bottom to absorb any wet stuff.
  10. Aug 27, 2010
    lnm03

lnm03 Chillin' with the herd

I have a minivan and I take out the seats necessary to fit one or two Large dog crates.....one is a pet taxi and the other is a wire crate. I put a large tarp on the floor of my van going up the sides put the crate(s) in the van put some hay in, my goats just jump into my van and walk into the crates. When we're done all we have to do is pull out the tarp and no hay is on the floor! Works great!!

The only thing I have to worry about is I have 2 that like to do this so if theyre out and someone comes to the house they want to get into their car. My mom (a big time city girl) is afraid of my little nigerians and its so funny to watch her try to get out of the car when my little wether wants to get in her car.... :gig