How do you transport your goats?

jodief100

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Roll farms said:
Kids I transport in a large rubbermaid tote w/ a blanket / towel in the bottom to absorb any wet stuff.
Do you put a lid on? How do you keep them in?

Dreaming Of Goats

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
My friend's dad uses his truck....he has 2 posts and a plank attached to the back, and you just tie the goats to it!

Roll farms

Spot Master
Reaction score
jodief100 said:
Do you put a lid on? How do you keep them in?
I'm talking less than 2 week old kids, and a really, REALLY large tote. They can't see over the top of it.

Make sure it's stable / can't tip over, though.

dkluzier

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
We picked up 2 kinder kids in Illinois this Spring and drove home to Pennsylvania with then in the back of my Focus. Cardboard on bottom, towels and blankets, straw on top. 14 hour trip. I luv my goats :)

When we need to go to the vet we transport them in the back of our Jeep Wrangler with the rear seat removed on blankets and/or towels.

cmjust0

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
n.smithurmond said:
ohiofarmgirl said:
we have a truck with a cap on it. throw in some straw, add goats, lock the cap and voila.... we're truckin' right along with them goaties!

:)
Us too. It works great!
x3

We also have a bare-bones '03 Chevy Suburban 2500 series 4x4 w/ a Vortec 6.0L gasoline V8.. Vinyl seats and rubber floors.. Aside from the roof liner, there's no fabric upholstery at all. As utility vehicles go, it's fantastic.

It came from the Tennessee Valley Authority's fleet, which is why it's as bare-bones as a Suburban gets.. There's actually a little 'cap' on top where it used to have a yellow flashy light. :p People pretty routinely ask me "Did this used to be a government vehicle or something?" It just looks like some kind of "official" vehicle, which is funny, because when you come rolling up behind someone on the interstate they tend to jump over really quick thinking you're a cop or something. :lol:

It "only" had 121K miles on it when we bought it in early '08, but it was pretty beat up on the outside...which was OK, because it was gonna be a farm truck anyway. :D

Only paid $6,700 for it.. :D

The cool part is that because they don't really make that many "cheap" Suburbans, they didn't bother to remove a lot of the "creature comforts"....so everything on the dash is pretty much like a regular Suburban...which means it also has PW/PL/PM, tilt, cruise, and triple-zone climate control, etc.

...but with an AM/FM radio. They didn't even spring for an old school cassette tape deck. :lol: :gig

sammileah

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
we use the topper and dog crates (have great dane). buck goes in crate he has horns. doe just gets tied in she likes to stick her head through window to get petted.

Ariel301

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Hmm...I'm probably going to have to look at some sort of trailer. We don't have a truck at the moment, because we can't afford to get another vehicle yet. We borrow my husband's parents' truck when we need it. We could get a camper shell for it, but then it probably would not fit the truck we end up getting down the road...and I'll be needing the capacity to haul around a dozen goats if for some reason I have to get somewhere with all of them. If we're going somewhere around the neighborhood, I put them in the back of the truck and sit back there with them, since we have one doe who unties herself no matter what knots I use...that's not safe on the highway!

We've gotten some funny looks too with two or three goats in the back seat of a Ford Focus lol. If we have to transport them that way, we try to do it after dark so no one can see!

jodief100

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Ariel301 said:
We could get a camper shell for it, but then it probably would not fit the truck we end up getting down the road...and I'll be needing the capacity to haul around a dozen goats if for some reason I have to get somewhere with all of them.
We got our cap really cheap on Craigslist, it might be worth it even if you only use it for a short time.

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
If you look around, you could probably find a decent full size van for the same price as a trailer. You could put rubber mats down and even put a raised edge on it so urine stays contained. An alpaca breeder cut rubber about 2" or 3" high and then glued it somehow to the rubber that he laid down on the floor. Has had no problems with urine going anywhere and has had the same van for over 10 years.

Another alpaca breeder friend of mine got a cargo van for $500. It runs great, just has a couple dents in it and a bit rusty but she can just hose the whole thing out if needed.

TigerLilly

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Ranger with a topper or mini van with airline approved carriers. I have ND's & one pygmy.