How do you transport your goats?

ThornyRidge

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
the back of my jeep liberty.. quick trips put a tarp down and keep goat(s) confined to cargo area behind back seat.. longer trips put seat down and bring out xlarge dog crate with some hay/straw in it.. as far as cleaning my jeep has leather seats so that is great.. I also find that after hauling a buck leave windows down for a couple days and voila.. and as far as the other mess after a couple days goat poop pellets become hard and are very easy to vacuum out! heck I just hauled two bales of hay in the back the other day.. a good vacuum and looks good as new! who knows what you may find in the back of my jeep.. but it gives a good excuse to not drive a bunch of coworkers around at lunch!

mully

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I use a cage made by Bill Goat Gruff Tractor supply sells them ....about $350 and you can put in in the back of a pickup, van or trailer. Works so well and also doubles as a small ares to contain a goat for a day or so. It is about 4x4x4 with a sliding door.

Jupiter

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Will an adult oberhasli doe fit in a giant dog crate? It's 48" long, 32" wide, 35" high. Or are they just for nigerian dwarf/pygmy sized goats?

I'm bringing mine home a week from tomorrow :)

peachick

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
As a dog show person I shopped around to find a mini van that could handle 2 large dog crates side by side in the back. mini vans are a lot more comfortable than a cargo type van. I have a Chevy Cavalier..... if you take out all the back seats you can put 4 large size dog crates in it. I treat my mini van like a truck.... and keep a plastic tarp under the crates to protect the carpet... although I really dont worry much about keeping it clean. I have a shop vac and a kid for that . lol :)
I prefer the mini van over the truck because the truck bed is taller and harder to lift things in it by myself.

cmjust0

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
fail-owned-piggyback-fail.jpg

Calliopia

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I use a minivan with the seats taken out. After moving several sets of goats, some chickens, a pair of pigs, and a few dead deer...... well, that carpeting is never coming clean.

Our plan this spring is to rip out the floor and put in a spray in liner so I can just hose the beast out after a transport. (I have the only van amongst 4 of us that have goats so guess who makes the vet trips)

bbredmom

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
We bought an 1981 Dodge Ram Van b250 for $800 for the sole purpose of moving the goats. We ripped out the carpet and the plywood so we have the metal floor, and are thinking of drilling a few holes for drainage.

The goats are happy because they are enclosed and have A/C, and I'm happy because I can access them no problem.

Jupiter

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Jupiter said:
Will an adult oberhasli doe fit in a giant dog crate? It's 48" long, 32" wide, 35" high. Or are they just for nigerian dwarf/pygmy sized goats?

I'm bringing mine home a week from tomorrow :)
Yup, they did! :cool: Picked up Pandora on Saturday, she is a petite girl and fit with room to spare. She had no problem for the 5 hour trip with an hour break in the middle. Picked up Cecily yesteday(she is much bigger), and she could turn around/stand easily, but I was glad her trip was only 35 minutes. Woohoo. Our minivan with the seats that fold into the floor has been the most versatile car we've ever had.