1. Announcing the new awards/recognition feature - medals!
    READ MORE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

2. Official BYH caption Contest #2 - 29 July 2014 - Pic by Pioneer Chicken
    Click HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

3. VIP Member interviews
    Click HERE!

4. Official Poll: What is in your first aid kit?
    Click HERE!

5. BYH Featured Thread: If only they could talk... - Caption this!
    Click HERE!

6. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!

7. Caption Contest Submissions - Pictures Needed
    Click HERE!

How long do you bottle feed?

Discussion in 'Feeding Time - Goats' started by Citylife, May 19, 2012.

1. May 19, 2012
    Citylife

Citylife Overrun with beasties

I am hearing mixed reviews on how long to bottle feed baby goats. So, I am asking for more mixed reviews.............. there is so much knowledge here, I would like to hear the imput.
  2. May 19, 2012
    SDBoerGoats

SDBoerGoats Ridin' The Range

Well, this was my first year at feeding bottle babies, but I had so many of them I think I learned a lot. I raise Boer goats, and had 3 right off the bat in January, and just had 2 more last week. I fed the first group bottles until they were 3 months old. They were on baby bottles for the first couple weeks til they got bigger then I got one of those buckets with the nipples in them, then I could feed all three at the same time! Life got way easier then.
    The ones I have now are too small to use the bucket yet so I am still having to do the bottles. I do think some people wean them off the bottles earlier than 3 months but I wanted them to be really eating Boer goat developer and hay well before I took the milk away from them.
  3. May 19, 2012
    Bedste

Bedste Overrun with beasties

8-10 weeks

I had triplets last year and quads this year

I gave as much as they would drink 5 times a day for the first week-- about 5 oz each feeding.

3 times a day for week two ---- three -- and week four -- about 10 oz

then at 5 weeks old we went to 20 oz twice a day and offered med goat kid food also......

at 8 weeks old they only got their morning bottles. always keeping med goat kid food available

somewhere between 9 and 10 weeks old I cut them off the bottle
    oweirdo likes this.
  4. May 21, 2012
    Citylife

Citylife Overrun with beasties

I appreciate you input. Always nice to hear what others do. We are not 100% on how old they are, but they are not to happy about 2 meals a day. :)
    They are starting to eat feed and have been eating hay sparsley. But, they are also learning that goat food isnt all that bad.
  5. May 21, 2012
    Roll farms

Roll farms Spot Master

I bottle feed for 3 mos, 3x a day for the 1st 2 mos, then 2x a day for 2 wks and 1x a day for 2 wks.

We bottle feed all our kids. Right now I have extra milk and so I have one 3.5 mo. old kid still getting 1 a day....I figure if I'm going down there anyway to feed others, why not let her have one too.

Here's my 'page' on bottle raising kids.....

http://www.backyardherds.com/web/viewblog.php?id=586