How many acres would do?

EllieMay

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Start off small and you'll be able to determine how much pasture is being eaten up.
Supplementing feed is good, too, but can get very costly.
If you can feed on pasture alone, you stay ahead of the game!
Of course, I don't know how much pasture you would even have in CO.
Good luck and enjoy your livestock!

treeclimber233

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
When I was growing up my mother had 4-5 cows and 5-6 ponies on 18-20 acres of land. The cows were for milk and meat so were fed some hay and lots of grain yearround. The ponies had to scrounge for their food unless the snow was too deep. Then they got to clean up the cows hay at night and got a handful of grain if the weather was really bad (freezing rain/sleet/snow). She was located in the northern part of Virginia close to the mountains. She had 15-18 acres. She had 9-11 animals at a time. You are talking about 20 animals and 46 feathered friends. Plus a camel. Are you going to let your feathered friends roam free. If you do they will destroy any grass they can. They will eat what they want and scratch up the rest looking for bugs. I agree with whoever suggested you should start small with the number of animals and see what your property can support. For the amount of animals you are talking about I would suggest at least 50 acres.

Dolly1218

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
treeclimber233 said:
When I was growing up my mother had 4-5 cows and 5-6 ponies on 18-20 acres of land. The cows were for milk and meat so were fed some hay and lots of grain yearround. The ponies had to scrounge for their food unless the snow was too deep. Then they got to clean up the cows hay at night and got a handful of grain if the weather was really bad (freezing rain/sleet/snow). She was located in the northern part of Virginia close to the mountains. She had 15-18 acres. She had 9-11 animals at a time. You are talking about 20 animals and 46 feathered friends. Plus a camel. Are you going to let your feathered friends roam free. If you do they will destroy any grass they can. They will eat what they want and scratch up the rest looking for bugs. I agree with whoever suggested you should start small with the number of animals and see what your property can support. For the amount of animals you are talking about I would suggest at least 50 acres.
Thank you. Yes I was going to start out very small and grow slowly, I just wanted to know how much land I will need if I ever get the animals on my dream list. Out here land is more expensive for very little, unless you happen to get lucky and find a 'hidden' one, so I want to look for quite a few acres to grow on, but I dont want to over do it with too many acres! My feathered friends are not going to free range, too many predators here, only supervised outdoor time.

Latest posts