how much food will a feeder pig eat.

burntmuch

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Just wondering how much a feeder pig will eat from weened piglet to butcher time. Im talking comercial hog feed. I know theres lots of variables, but I just need an estimate. Im trying to sell this idea to the wife. She wants facts & numbers.blah blah blah. I guessed four hundred lbs. But that was just a guess

CountryFried

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
burntmuch said:
Just wondering how much a feeder pig will eat from weened piglet to butcher time. Im talking comercial hog feed. I know theres lots of variables, but I just need an estimate. Im trying to sell this idea to the wife. She wants facts & numbers.blah blah blah. I guessed four hundred lbs. But that was just a guess
My pigs are 9 weeks old, about 24lbs. I have 3. Had my mom pick me up 200lbs of a custom mix from a feed store near her house, the owner said it would last me about 3 weeks LOL. I've only had mine a week, but I've been feeding scraps and veggies in addition to the commercial, so I can't give you a real guess yet.

freemotion

Self Sufficient Queen
Reaction score
I seem to remember Storey's Guide having a chart or something....so many pounds of feed per pound of finished meat, or something like that. I don't have the book, I got it from the library.

I haven't paid for feed since Sept 22 and will get through Oct. We'll see how far into November. Yes, I am bragging. :cool:

Even with feeding commercial feed, hogs are a good deal, from what I understand. Depending, of course, on how much you can do yourself, from constructing the pen to daily care to actual butchering, and how much it costs to hire out the parts you don't want to deal with.

ohiofarmgirl

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
havent fed commercial feed since mid-summer but we do feed corn and supplement with our "free" protein from our farm (eggs and goat milk).

we find that we can get a years worth of meat VERY cheaply - once you are set up and do your own butchering it totally makes sense...and cents.

commercial hog chow around here is about $7/bag. you'd do well to call a local feed mill to get their pricing.

jmh is usually around here - he's good for stats and such.. buddy? you out there??

:)

PattySh

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I think we used a bag of grain a week when we had growing piggies. Now we are feeding our boar and pregnant sow about 3 qts of grain each daily plus lots goodies. daughter gets commercial kitchen prep trimmings(vegies, fruits)almost daily and leftovers sometimes like pasta, prepared meals, sandwiches, cookies and muffins (unserved leftovers only not off plates!). We also have goats so older and especially sour milk is relished. Pigs love sour milk ours can smell it when we make their pans of food and they go crazy. They also get the whey when we make cheese. So ours are cheaply fed. Get yourself a kitchen source!

burntmuch

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Sounds like I need to start looking for a kitchen source. Thanks guys

Calliopia

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
My father fed his pigs for free from dumpster diving and sourcing free hay that had been field stored and letting them forage over about a 1/2 acre.

jodief100

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
My neighbor has a hog operation. He works as a janitor at the local elementary school for the sole purpose of taking home the garbage from the cafeteria. He sets up a separate garbage can at the end of the line and asks all the kiddies to scrape their plates into that one. He also brings home the kitchen scraps. My Darling Hubby tells me has been doing it since before Hubby was attending the elementary school, 30+ years ago.

PattySh

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I would not give my pigs leftover plated food, too much chance for disease and illegal in most places. Food from the commercial kitchen is prep only, vegies trimmings and such. I also use the wasted hay under my goats feeders for bedding for the pigs (they eat some of it)and give them a flake a day in their feeder as they enjoy chewing on it between meals. Fresh water very important at all times. In the midst of winter I actually put their "vegies" in a big pot and heat them up then add to their grain for them to stay warmer.

jhm47

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I have heard (and read) that it's against federal law to feed uncooked garbage (food waste) to pigs. There is the possibility of infecting the pigs with trichinosis. Even if the food has been cooked, it needs to be recooked and brought to a boil in order to be legal.

I am of the opinion that pigs will do better, be healthier, and taste better if fed a good, well balanced commercial feed. That way they will be getting the correct amount of vitamins and minerals. If they are allowed to range on a nice pasture, they will still benefit from a balanced diet. My grandfather used to say, GIGO (garbage in, garbage out). Of course, he's been gone for a loooooong time now, but I never forgot that saying.