how much goat feed?

SallyInIndiana

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I have 2 nubian goat doelings. They are 4 months old. They have access to lots of pasture / tall grass and weeds. They have all they can eat hay. But how much grain should I be giving them each night?
Right now I am giving them 4 cups to share. Is that enough? I would like them to be large enough to breed this Dec.

alsea1

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
If you are lucky enough to have enough forage and brush a goat will do best on that.
Goats digestive systems need the roughage in order to function properly.
You may get slower gain by not using grain but I think studies have shown that the rumen develops better if roughage makes up the diet.
Just keep an eye on them. If they start to look thin or unthrifty have a vet do fecal exams. If they are clean of any parasites then take a look at some good quality hay. Try that first.
If a goat is pregnant then you will need to change the feed up a bit. A vet that is exp. with small ruminants would be a great asset. I would suggest that you find one and schedule a meet and greet. Get to know the vet and have them come out to see your girls. He or she can take a look and point out anything that may need addressed.
This may seem like a waste of money but in the long run you will be glad you did it. A vet is more likely to work with you if you have established yourself as a client. LOL If you have goats you are going to need a vet sooner or later. So its just as well to have one picked out already that knows your animals.

SallyInIndiana

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Thank you for your vet recommendation. I do already have a vet scheduled to come out. I think I have the grain feeding working ok right now. I give them their 4 cups to share around 5 pm. If they are still begging by the gate by 8 pm I give them another 2 cups to share.

SallyInIndiana

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
they are a lot like dogs. I found a flea on one the other day. Now I just need to find frontline for goats. :lol: