How much milk from ff nubian?

Moody

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Nubian freshened march 17. I started milking her to get practice and get her into a routine.
The first time at 4 days past birth was maybe 6 tbsp full. The next time maybe a 1/3 cup and that's about all I ever get. I do not know if she came from strong milking lines. I figured I would get at least 1/2 gallon a day which along with a lamancha will be plenty for my family. Actually I planned on close to a gallon a day but maybe not as ff.

I put the baby in the milk stall with us. She runs around. I get momma up on milk stand, put grain and alfalfa pellets into the feeder, clean udder with warm wash cloth (just water right now), dry with paper towel and go to it. I get some good two handed milking squirts but After a bit she gets antsy and keeps kicking. Also I get 4-5 good squirts of milk but then struggle for a bit to get it going rythmically again.

She stands with her legs a bit too close together. If I try to correct, she kicks and steps in the bucket. She doesn't eat all the grain. I give as much alfalfa pellets and grain as she will eat but she still gets antsy and won't let me do my thing until we both get frustrated, I let her down, she goes directly to the kid and I put the leftover grain and pellets into a bowl in her and the baby's stall.

She was doing better each time but last night she absolutely refused to get on the stand, period. Which pissed me off so I tied her to the fence using a rope halter (never had one on her before) and milked her there with no grain. Then tried to hand feed her the grain, gave up, put it into the bowl and into her stall and put them to bed. She was eating it then. :barnie

So I get very little milk because 1) I'm a newb, 2) she's a biatch who is too focused on her kid and 3) I know I'm not milking her out but I can only deal with that dancing/kicking for so long before I cave.

I have grabbed the kid and put her on the stand as well, I have enticed momma with hand feeding,I have hummed/sang to relax myself, I have bumped udder a bit. I have just approached her where she stands and milked some. I'm getting frustrated with her. I have a hobble but hesitate to use it. I want her experience on the stand to be good but I am getting frustrated. I am nearing the time that I could be trying to drink some as the withdrawal after using valblazen is up. I think her milk is foaming a bit too, what little I get to be able to evaluate that:D

Moody

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Oh and I realize there is a learning curve for both of us. Is this how your first milking experience has gone? Also how much should I be getting at this point even with a so-so producer at a ff 6 days post birth?

animalmom

Herd Master
Reaction score
Oh Moody, try to be patient with your new mama goatie. She is doing her best to try to understand what her body is trying its best to tell her. You want milk, the baby wants milk and she doesn't know what to do, and frankly thinks that you rate way below the baby.

If you are getting anything off of a FF at this point count your blessings. She thinks her job is to take care of the baby and all the milk belongs to the baby. She doesn't want to share. It is biology.

I raise Nigerian Dwarfs, and therefore can't say about a Nubian, and when I start milking the new moms (FF) I get a quarter cup, sometimes nothing, sometimes a hoof in the cup for my troubles.

I'd tell you to be patient, but I do honestly understand your frustration. I've called my girls a few less than desirable names, but don't give up. Please, don't give up on yourself and definitely not on your doe. Her priorities are not your priorities.

You will be amazed, surprised and pleased with her production once the kids are weaned.

Getting her use to your hands on her udder is a big thing. Getting you use to how her udder feels is a bigger, and important thing.

Hang in there, be patient with yourself. I'd tell you Rome was not built in a day, but that won't help. Build her confidence in you is what will help.

Did that make any sense? Remember at this point you and your doe are talking two different languages. Keep us posted on your progress, please and thank you.

Fullhousefarm

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Don't beat yourself up!

For the first two weeks I feed on the stand at least once a day and take what I get. It's about getting you used to each other. I don't sell/drink the milk the first two weeks anyway- but do use it for any bottle babies after the first 4-5 days.

At around two weeks I separate babies at night and milk in the morning. If it's 12 hours I'd say at least 4 cups- hopefully closer to 6- good for a first freshener without stopping every last bit and it being an exceptional doe. Production usually peaks at 3 months. I notice a difference depending on how much peanut/alfalfa/etc hay she gets late in the day or at night. When you wean baby you should get about twice as much and I find the does get more patient within a week.

Moody

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Ok. I'm trying to be more patient with her. She refused my stand again tonight but she really wanted the grain and alfalfa pellets. Baby was sleepy after playing so baby got on the stand and slept and momma stayed next to her with a bowl of grain on the ground and me milking that way. Got about 1/2 cup. And it was a less forced experience.

I was afraid that by giving her bowl of food in her stall of letting her eat wherever so I could milk a bit was establishing a poor routine that would stick that way later on.

Pearce Pastures

Barn Babe
Reaction score
Hang in there. She will get better at it and it will be easier. Gosh, I have had to have my husband hold does and have even had to tie a rope from the rafter and loop it under a goats hind legs to keep her from sitting on me. We have had our share of dumped milk and stepped in pails that had to get tossed.

Play the radio in the background and try to laugh it off when she is driving you nutty. Soon enough, she will hop up for you, set her own legs, and milk like she has been doing it forever.

Moody

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
So, am I supposed to insist she stay and let me milk her out? Or is it ok to just do the best I can without being too forceful with her?

upsidedown

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Have her get on the milk stand regardless of how much milk you are getting...routine/consistency is so important. I am currently milking a ff oberhasli..I waited for two week to separate at night. She was antsy when milking the first week (still can be even now). I milk into a coffee cup so I wouldn't waste what I got. Now three weeks into milking she is letting down her milk and I am getting a quart of milk off of her. She has a single but lets other kids nurse off her in the morning. I do not bring the kid into the milking parlor but that is just how I am set up. Even my 2nd freashener was antsy the first couple of times. Yes we get impatient but hang in there things will get better

Pearce Pastures

Barn Babe
Reaction score
Honestly, I do. Not sure about others, but my does are going to get up there and be milked out despite the fight. It is only the first timers that give me any fight and after patient insistence that they be milked, they get over themselves and anxiously await their turn on the stand.

MsDeb

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I'm exactly a month into my first milking experience with a FF mini Nubian. (She lost her babies at birth and I got her about 3 weeks later from a more experienced milker.) We literally went round and round at first because it took me two days to get a milking stand. Now she starts out ok because she wants the feed but she's full before she's milked out and stomps and kicks a lot. I had to tie off her front leg after the first week because she kept putting it up through the head gate and into the feed box. Now I'm tying off her back legs also. I don't have hobbles so I wrap each with a thick sock and then loop a thin dog leash around and tie off at the back of the stand. This has made things much easier for both of us. I think she's learning what's expected of her and because it's easier for me and I'm not having to worry about her kicking over the pan, I'm much more calm and can take my time. I think I won't have to tie off her front leg much longer and I hope she's grow accustomed to keeping back legs still eventually. Good luck. I was frustrated to tears but everyone here encouraged me to be patient and tough it out and now I can't believe it's only been a month. I can't say I feel like a pro, but Alice and I are a much better team now than I thought we'd be. She even let my 10 year old grandson learn to milk her this weekend. Oh, and I pay her off in black oil sunflower seeds and bread slices and bites of graham cracker snacks.
Hang in there!