How to catch a goat?

bloonskiller911

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Back story. We have a 4h County Fair where I live. It is in July. A pygmy escaped, traveled through our very rural county park and approx. 3 miles away. I work for the local sheriff's department and there have been many attempts to catch her. She has found a great place, by the river on a embankment that our county has dumped rip rap over to stop erosion. Only problem is that she is on a heavily traveled road. the owners from the 4H did not claim her, did not even own up to having her, no one there would. She is a pest to the owners of the property she is on and they have contacted our small animal control. He tried to catch her but couldn't. His only option is to shoot her, since she has been deemed a pest. Luckily he is busy. I have been leaving feed out for her, just enough to give her a taste hoping I can get close enough to grab her. To top things off she has kidded. I'd say the kid is approx. 3 weeks old, and they are quick but now the kid is injured. It's front right leg looks to be dislocated, I am hoping to catch it and force her to respond, only problem is that as I said it is a cliff face and all open land around. No where to pen her or corner her, so I have to be fast and have a couple of people. I keep getting closer to catching her but if I don't get it done soon she will be put down. Any suggestion would be a great help!!!

bloonskiller911

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Also, I do not rope. So using a lasso, as so many people around here have suggested isn't going to help. lol:he

goats&moregoats

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Try coaching her with a small bucket of sweet feed, if you can get close enough where she can smell it. Having the baby may have made her a bit more reluctant. Good, luck and I sure hope she doesn't have to be shot.

bloonskiller911

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I hope she doesn't have to be shot too. I am hoping that my next day off is nice out so I can get down to where she is. it's been raining a lot here and I haven't been able to find where she is taking cover from the rain yet.

goats&moregoats

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Any way they property owner would let you set up a temporary pen with a small shelter, maybe you could use a calf hutch, put hay and grain in it and hopefully entice her to use it.

bloonskiller911

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
its the access that is a problem...and I don't want to set it up to close to the road. it is the busiest county road here, I am surprised they haven't been hit yet. she went off the radar for a bit in august, and most of us assumed coyotes got her. we have a high population here. also with her being a pygmy, and the baby so small they are lucky to still be thriving. there is a bald eagles next just up the river from them, with a very active breeding pair. Thanks for your input

bloonskiller911

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
hill.jpg

This is the view from goggle earth. We are standing in the river looking north and as you can see that is the hill side with the rip-rap on it the line divide is where the road is, and then straight up another hill. :barnie

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
Don't you have a live trap?
If not easy to build
We built a trap one time to catch a hog

bloonskiller911

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I have a live trap, too small for a pygmy though. That was going to be my next course of action. Trying to keep this goat from being put down is a lot of work.