How to manage run-in stall for our steer calves?

Qchickiemama

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I just removed a zillion wheelbarrow loads of wet muck and nasty straw from their stall.

The floor is now hard-packed dirt. We have the calves' feed bins in there, so they come in and flood the place with their pee.

The hard floor isn't level; it's dipped in the middle, so there's a nasty pool of liquid that collects.

Do I want to install a french drain? (Wouldn't it just stay full of urine & stink like crazy?)

What do I put in the floor? Bedding? Sand? Whatever it is, will I need to remove it every day when it's wet?

Feedin5kids

Herd lurker
Reaction score
We have a similar problem. Now that its summer, though, they feed less inside and are in pasture. I rarely give ours grain.. They absolutely freak out when I do. Totally addicting for them, so I throw some older hay down inside their barn area to help absorb, since they practically refuse to pee outside, and save the grain for special treats or to finish. But stall maintenance is key. Constant shoveling... I would fill in the hole you have and have it drain out the door by slope if possible.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Greetings and welcome to BYH @Feedin5kids Are those human kids or goat kids? just curious. Glad you joined us.

Pastor Dave

Herd Master
Reaction score
My friend got me onto wood bedding pellets. He is a beef farmer. I use them dry in my drop pans for my rabbit cages.
They call for cutting open the tops and sitting together upright in middle of the floor. They come in 40lb. bags. Fill them with water and let them swell, and then spread them out on the floor. They will help with absorbing and cleanup. Not sure how long before you need to shovel out. I think they are mainly for horses so some brands have a horse on the bag.