How to smoke a rabbit

Citylife

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
animalmom said:
Citylife you crack me up. I alternate from chuckling to being envious with your air conditioned rabbitry. On no account are you to tell my bunns that some live the highlife! I keep telling my herd that they should be grateful and happy with their barn fan and misting system but whoa man, air conditioning. Can I move into your rabbitry?
Animalmom, LOL I wouldn't do that to you its a houseful in there.. :) when I say air conditioned, what I mean by that is when it gets 90 and is going to get hotter........ it is turned on. Its a small unit for like a small room. I breed all year round and can not afford to have bucks go sterile for up to 90 days. I try to keep the temp at the worst part of the season or day under 90 and if I can get it to 85 in 3 hours I will. My rabbitry is 13x24 and is an insulated shed that was there when I bought it. As you know, I started out, with my rabbits outside. :) this set-up has given me much freedom from babysitting hot rabbits and giving them frozen bottles every hour when its 103 and a heat index of 115-120 in the land of Missery. LOLOL Or is it Missouri? I always get them messed up. rofl
I thank you for the compliment.
I am out of town working right now but will be home all next week and I am a smoking fool when I can be. I have some idea's on how to do rabbit, I just have not had the time to do it. I will post when I am successful at it. I have rabbits to process so if I have the time and energy, I will try it.

Prairiechick

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
animalmom said:
You got Zig Zags that big, or do you find a cigar wrapper works better? Wow! ;)
Crack me up! I was going to say something sarcastic like that! LOL

VickieB

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I'm afraid I haven't tried cooking them in the smoker yet. But I did find they have a natural mild flavor with no aftertaste when rolled in Zig Zags...

Freezer_pets

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
We smoke a lot of critters... Fish, birds, game... All Without papers ;).

I'd suggest soaking in a light brine of salt, brown sugar and black pepper for 12-24 hours. The brine should be light, not too much salt... Maybe 1/2 cup to a gallon of water then smoke it until the internal temp reaches 168 (dead zone for bacteria). Just stick a meat temp probe in the thickest part.

You could also do a dry rub, almost anything really... Pappy's, Penzy's Bicentennial rub. I have a rib run that would be great. Equal parts salt, cumin, chili powder, paprika, sugar and black pepper. I wonder if it will tenderize while smoking or be kind of tough?

Your post got me thinking a lot about smoked bunny and i am so gonna try that! Thank you!

happy acres

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Do let us know how it turns out! I'm thinking of putting in a smokehouse, and want to know if it's worth it.