How to tell if a goat is pregnant

BlessedWithGoats

Herd Master
Reaction score
I know that it can be hard to tell if a goat is pregnant, but I've also heard that people who've had their goats for a few years can pretty much tell if they are pregnant or not. (I'm sure there's other people who haven't had them for years that can tell too! :) )
So my question is... what works for you? What signs do you look for that your goat is pregnant?
I've been up and down, mostly up, on whether or not my does are pregnant... I sure hope they are!
Thanks in advance!

Hens and Roos

Herd Master
Reaction score
Well, we are really new to goats(5 months now), 2 of the does we purchased were confirmed bred by ultrasound by the previous owner, our 3rd doe- not sure on yet- she is due end of June. We are watching for udder growth and swelling of lady parts as this doe is on the wide side to start with(looks like she could kid any day now)

Last edited:

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
On a first timer it is usually pretty easy to watch for an udder but on older does not so easy. I gave up trying and now draw blood 30+ days after breeding and send it to Bio-tracking for a pregnancy check. :)

I have a FF right now that is building an udder. She was with a buckling but I thought that he wasn't interested and never saw her in heat. Unfortunately I didn't write down any dates of when they were together and I have no idea if she is bred or if she has a precocious udder. If there is a baby on the way NO IDEA when she could be due. :barnie

BlessedWithGoats

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thanks Everyone! :)
Both of them are first fresheners.... watching for an udder to develop... how far along would they usually be before you'd start to see one?
I've seen what looks like a "baby bump" on their right side, but sometimes it's not as visible as others. :) Does this occur with your goats?
I'm so excited to have baby goats... I really hope they are indeed pregnant! :)