I do wood turning for fun

craneman54

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I love to turn wood on my lathe. You can make something that just seems to appear out of the wood.
Here are few of the things I have done in the past. I hope you like them.

Sweetgum_3_sized.jpg

Purple_Heart5_sized.jpg

100_1366_sized.jpg

100_1400.jpg

100_0798_sized.jpg

Last edited:

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Those are beyond beautiful! I wouldn't call that wood turning.....I'd call that WOOD ART! Do you sell any of it?

craneman54

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Those are beyond beautiful! I wouldn't call that wood turning.....I'd call that WOOD ART! Do you sell any of it?

Thanks for the kind words. I have never sold any of my work. People want me to give them the peices or want to pay hrdly anything for them. I just give them to family or close friends. The wife get all the rest.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Well, you are creating some beautiful heirloom pieces. Do you sign and date the bottom? If not, you should. I have a small pottery bowl my Daddy made, dated and signed. It's priceless to me.

Sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Wow, those are stunning pieces, especially that first bowl! Have you tried selling them on Etsy?

craneman54

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Well, you are creating some beautiful heirloom pieces. Do you sign and date the bottom? If not, you should. I have a small pottery bowl my Daddy made, dated and signed. It's priceless to me.

I just started signing and dating them but haven't done much turning lately. Most of the wood I have is green,also I have been having to spend alot of time taking care of the wife. She has dementia and sometimes requires alot of attention. Once the Dr. get her meds right I plan on turning Christmas ornaments and hope to sell some of those.

I have more on photobucket (craneman54) if you would like to look at them. I just don't know What I have left has the wife gives them to people without my knowing the rest she tends to put things that I have to search for.:idunno

craneman54

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Wow, those are stunning pieces, especially that first bowl! Have you tried selling them on Etsy?

Thanks for the complement.

No I haven't try to sell anywhere.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I had a friend that did wood turnings and he found a cross tie mill where he could get the end pieces by the pick up load for a few dollars. He had some pretty spaulded pieces from them sitting out in the weather. He also made Christmas ornaments that were very pretty. I have a mushroom trinket box he made from tupelo and the cap is black walnut.

Have you ever tried mimosa? It is soft, but has an outstanding grain.

craneman54

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I had a friend that did wood turnings and he found a cross tie mill where he could get the end pieces by the pick up load for a few dollars. He had some pretty spaulded pieces from them sitting out in the weather. He also made Christmas ornaments that were very pretty. I have a mushroom trinket box he made from tupelo and the cap is black walnut.

Have you ever tried mimosa? It is soft, but has an outstanding grain.

I haven't found any mimosa yet. There are alot of woods I would love to try but just haven't found most of them yet. So far my favorite wood to turn is walnut. Kinda pricy though. Alot of American wood is beautiful, but There are alot of Exotic woods I would love to turn. The purple bowl in the pics above is called purple heart, very hard and dense. The color you see is the actual color of the wood.Only a clear finish over it. That 12" X12" X 2" cost me like $24 dollars with shipping about 9 years ago. And that is one of the cheaper exotics.:ep

Last edited:

Sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Good things don't come cheap! But it's so beautiful. I don't think I've ever seen wood in that natural colour.

I'm sorry to hear about your wife :hugs